Anyone ever use one of these?

Rodchester

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Land-based PLBs are becoming available in the lower 48 states (perhaps specifically the PNW?) after a pilot program in Alaska proved to be successful. They are very similar to the EPIRBs used on ships. Once activated, they are spotted by satellites and a location (if a GPS unit is attached or incorporated, otherwise it uses the frequency to triangulate) is transmitted to Langley, Virginia. They in turn contact local SAR resources to go find the beacon. They have coordinates to find the thing, but the beacon also transmits on the standard ELT freq. long used in aviation to find downed aircraft, so you can find them that way too. They will be pretty expensive for awhile yet. Some SAR groups are starting to train with them now, but I've yet to see one in the Oregon mtn rescue community. The "Mt Hood Locator" is still in use, but it is much more simple, using basically a bear collar system. It still works well, and was in fact used this January to pinpoint a lost group near the summit of Mt. Hood.

Seeing as it is already so difficult to get people to buy avalanche beacons when there is an obvious threat to life, and PLB's cost more than avi beacons and are even less-likely to be used, I don't really see them flying off the shelves. I guess they have been pretty key on some searches in Alaska for snowmo's and stuff though.

those plbs are pretty common for private boat owners. they dont work for shit if the batteries go. i reckon its better to plan on saving your own ass in case of emergency.

once had a coast guard helocopter fly over a fishing boat i was on when the epirb shifted in the cabinet and got turned on. embarassment dont describe the half of it.

b-rock said:

are they similar in size and weight to an avalanche transceiver?

The PLB 406 at

Weight: 17.6 ounces

Dimensions: 1.9 x 6.5 x 3.8 inches

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp?level1_id=0&level2_id=0&level3_id=0&item=103873&level2_title=

Would be bigger - and a good bit heavier. Still for solo wilderness trip it'd probably be a good idea.

• 2 months later...