richard_noggin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sobo said:

Bronco said:

Anywho, I rapped off a dead shrub backed up with a loose old angle piton set in dirt on Mt. Index once. Shoulda downclimbed or left a new pin. Nah!

Hey, I think I may have rapped off the same shrub! No back-up tho. North face of north peak, was it? When my partner joined up, we went to pull the rope, and it seemed to be stuck... then we ended up getting the shrub with it! eek2.gif

You ripped out that anchor? Now what are we supposed to do? rolleyes.gif Seriously though, I think the entire N. Peak is covered with rapslings draped around shrubs in varrying states of decay. It was the last rap on the N. Face and put us at the base of the inital 4th class slabs if you were curious.

Bronco said:

You ripped out that anchor? Now what are we supposed to do? rolleyes.gif Seriously though, I think the entire N. Peak is covered with rapslings draped around shrubs in varrying states of decay. It was the last rap on the N. Face and put us at the base of the inital 4th class slabs if you were curious.

Sounds like it's a bit lower down than the one we ripped out. It was below all the5th class stuff, but there were still 1 or 2 rappels left to hit the base of the 4th class stuff. It was about 10 year ago, too.

At one point on that same trip, I had to take a dump so bad. It hit me in mid-rappel and I just couldn't hold it any longer. I locked off, dropped the leg loops, and opened the bomb bay doors. I had the presence of mind to bring the rope up off the deck before the bomb dropped. yellaf.gif

Waiting for my pardner and then pulling the rope after that rap was the shitz, tho. yelrotflmao.gif

iain said:

that would be a pretty miserable way to die. pants down at the bottom of a rap with turds all over you. I can think of better ways to go

The dump was experienced on a different rap, but the same trip. That would have been hideous, tho, if things had gone as you imagine. The mental image is most disturbing... and unsavory! yellaf.gif

Got off route on the descent down the backside of DAFF dome in Toloumne last year. Ended up rapping off several threads through small water holes in the granite that other people had used. Some of them were through pieces of granite that are smaller in diameter than my pinky finger and I have small hands. Backed them up for my heavier partern to descend, then I rapped off the threads that were in place. SCARY was the word!!! hellno3d.gif