Ever feel too prepared?

Bill_Simpkins

Last week I went for a hike up Mt. Pilchuck.

I wore tennies, climbing pants, had a day pack and and ice axe. Was wearing Glacier glasses. I ran almost the whole way cause I got bored with walking. yellowsleep.gif Took 2.5 hours RT.

On the way up there must have been about 4 groups coming down. Most wearing jeans, hiking boots, and no axe. In two groups the boyfriends were carrying one small pack and the girlfriends carried nothing. rolleyes.gif No sunglasses, despite the snow everywhere. No one else had an axe, despite some moderate snow slopes.

Consequently, when I passed these people I felt like I was prepared for Rainier or something. I felt like someone with a bigwall rack climbing Bunny Face.

From climbing a lot I prepare for what I usually encounter, so when I go on a normal hike, especially on a mountain, I have trouble packing like a person who JUST hikes.

Question is:

Ever go on a hike feeling over-prepared when you pass the families, couples and other hikers that are wearing jeans, cotton shirt, no pack and are carrying a bottle of Pepsi for drink?

snaf.gifPlease tell your stories. snaf.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but usually it's the other way round. On the other hand, sometimes I've bailed people out, them nearly getting sunstroke since they didn't have a hat, or getting dehydrated since the didn't have any water, or getting hypothermic because they wore cotton and got wet.

Oh, and at Smith one time, I watched a german couple climb Zebra-Zion. They made fun of Americans with huge racks (no, the other kind), then proceeded to climb. The guy led the second pitch, placing little pro since he didn't have much, and as he climbed, he proceeded to pull many of his nuts out, zipper-style. In this case, I'll be happier to load up on enough pro to lead safely, instead of emulating the aforementioned nutcase.

Bill:

No matter how much crap I bring, I know that somewhere out there, theres a guy topping off his 70lb pack with jumars to do the South slope of Adams. I think that Mount Adams may be the best place to see the contrast between over and under prepared.

If I am on a hike, I don't have any goal in mind other than getting some excercise and maybe enjoying the views, so I don't care if I am "over prepared". So what if my pack slows me down a tiny bit? Who gives a shit? I'd rather have the extra water or binoculars or whatever to have an enjoyable day in comfort. Compared to humping overnight gear or a full rack and rope, a few pounds of extra clothes feels like nothing.

some years back a friend of mine wanted to go do "an easy" so I suggested Daniels from Peggy's Pond. I'm guessing it was mid-july ... anyhow, we went light with bivis, light bags a little food we each brought an axe but no crampons ... needless to say the traverse from the East Peak to the West Peak was a complete sheet of bullet proof ice and neither of us was up to chopping steps all the way across. Should have brought crampons.

On our way back out to the car we pass this dude just loaded with a ton of shit, he was leading a group of 4or 5 with this monsterous 60+ lbs mule complete with 2 dozen wands, full gore-tex, 11mm ropes, you name it. When I asked which way they were headed, he says "thru Peggy's Pond" ....... ohh the irony

hindsight : wish they had made lightweight alum cramps back then