HELLO I'M A JACKASS

jon

HELLO MY NAME IS SLICK RICK. WANT TO BET ON A HOOPS GAME? IT'S ONLY $5000 PER PERSON, REALLY OF NO CONSEQUENCE SINCE I'M THE HIGHEST PAID STATE EMPLOYEE EVER. DO YOU LIKE SANCTION? I HAVE SOME I CAN GIVE YOU. I HAVE FRIENDS, BUT NONE IN COLORADO. GOTTA GO, ME AND MIKE PRICE ARE HEADING TO RICK'S. NOT MY PLACE ON THE GOLF COURSE, THE ONE ON LAKE CITY.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neuheisel's job in jeopardy for gambling

06/05/2003

By ARTURO SANTIAGO / KING 5 News and Associated Press

SEATTLE - University of Washington Huskies football coach Rick Neuheisel admitted he participated in an NCAA basketball tournament gambling pool the past two years, but he said he never imagined he was doing anything wrong.

Two NCAA investigators and one from the Pac-10 Conference questioned Neuheisel on Wednesday after receiving a tip that he put up $5,000 and won about $20,000 by picking Maryland in an auction-format pool on the men's basketball tournament in 2002, the Seattle Times reported.

NCAA officials would not discuss the probe.

"I'm blaming no one," said Neuheisel in a statement sent to KING 5 news. "I only want what's best for Washington Football and the student-athletes involved."

He also said he met with UW athletic director Barbara Hedges and interim UW president Lee Huntsman Thursday morning but the details of the meeting were not revealed.

Neuheisel was scheduled to speak to his coaches at 5 p.m. and to his team at 6 p.m. Thursday.

The NCAA manual specifies that coaches, staff members and athletes may not knowingly "solicit or accept a bet on any intercollegiate competition for any item (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) that has tangible value."

Emerging from a meeting with the investigators, Neuheisel acknowledged that his college coaching career could be on the line.

AP File photo

Rick Neuheisel, University of Washington head football coach.

"I never in my wildest dreams imagined I was doing anything to jeopardize my employment," he said. "I don't think I would ever put myself in that situation knowingly, but I'm hopeful I can be the coach at Washington. I'd certainly like to be."

Huskies athletic director Barbara Hedges said she learned of Neuheisel's involvement in the betting pool late Wednesday and promised "a careful review of all the facts." "Gambling is a serious violation of NCAA rules," Hedges said.

"You can't minimize this. The university will take this very seriously."

Neuheisel said he was part of a four-member "team" that had the overall winner in both years he participated in what he described as a pizza-and-beer gathering. Neuheisel said his group split its winnings but would not discuss dollar amounts.

Under the auction format, participants bid on each team and the highest bid gets that team in the tournament.

Multimedia

KING 5's Arturo Santiago reports

"I was there (at the auction) really because most of these people were buddies of mine from my neighborhood," Neuheisel said.

"Their kids went to the same school as my kids and I was an invitee...

"Obviously, it's become a point of contention, but I never imagined that I was doing anything wrong, because we weren't dealing with bookies or lines or anything like that.

"We were just friends, like we were betting on golf holes. It seemed pretty harmless." He would not discuss the dollar figures.

"I was fortunate to be on a winning team, but the money was of no consequence. It really made no difference," he said. "I was just there to share some social time with some guys in the neighborhood, golf buddies and so forth ... all guys I thought were friends." Neuheisel, 42, has a 33-15 record in four seasons with the Huskies. Under a six-year contract extension he signed in September, he makes $1.2 million a year, and a five-year option could keep him at Washington until 2013.

Live Vote

What should the UW do with Rick Neuheisel after he took part in gambling on a college basketball tournament?

Reprimand him

Suspend him

Fire him

Nothing

The kind of pool Neuheisel described is not against state law unless a bookmaker is involved, but NCAA rules forbid any form of gambling on college sports by athletes and coaching staff.

Institutions can be sanctioned in such cases if violations were known to college officials or if the NCAA finds they should have known.

"There are a lot of questions and we don't have a lot of answers," Hedges said.

"In hindsight, Rick realizes he should have known," she said.

"It's clear that gambling is prohibited on any kind of college sports regardless of what the circumstances are. I do believe Rick should have understood the situation. He just didn't relate it to the particular social situation he was in.

"Rick was forthcoming. That is to his credit." NCAA measures to combat gambling by coaches, players and staff include preseason talks by consortium officials to athletes, locker room posters and efforts to deny credentials to cover major NCAA events to newspapers that publish gambling point spreads.

Many college athletic departments ban even ordinary, small-change tournament brackets that are commonly filled out in offices nationwide during so-called "March Madness."

Resource Links

Rick Neuheisel bio

Timeline - Neuheisel's history at UW

"If an athlete or coach put $1 in a pool, certainly there would not be a significant penalty," said Bill Saum, the NCAA's director of agent, gambling and amateurism activities. "If there is a significant amount of money in the pool, there would be a significant penalty."

The Times reported that the NCAA investigators also questioned Neuheisel about two potential minor violations.

The most recent was in February, when he issued a statement through the university denying he had been interviewed for the San Francisco 49ers head-coaching vacancy -- then admitted he had in fact been interviewed.

Thursday is the deadline for the Huskies to report to the NCAA that Neuheisel has fulfilled all compliance requirements concerning 50 minor violations that were committed while he was coach at Colorado from 1995-98.

As the last requirement on the list, Neuheisel attended a regular NCAA compliance seminar Wednesday with athletic department officials from many schools

From ESPN.com

Neuheisel's had a rocky four years at UW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- Rick Neuheisel's football coaching career at Washington:

Jan. 11, 1999 : Neuheisel, 37, hired as Washington's coach after four years at Colorado, with a contract worth $997,000 a year for five years.

Feb. 3, 1999: Reports surface on national letter-of-intent signing day that Neuheisel is being investigated for improper visits to five recruits. It later is revealed that Neuheisel also made improper contact with several of his former Colorado players and engaged one UW recruit in a basketball-shooting contest, deemed an improper tryout by the NCAA.

June 19, 1999: Pac-10 accepts Washington's self-imposed penalties for two violations, including reducing Neuheisel's off-campus visits in 2000 from 29 to 9. UW also agrees not to accept any of Neuheisel's former Colorado players as transfers.

Jan. 1, 2001: Washington beats Purdue 34-24 in the Rose Bowl, capping an 11-1 season.

Sept. 4, 2001: Neuheisel's contract is improved to a guaranteed $1.21 million a year, with incentives to a possible $1.46 million a season.

Feb. 6, 2002: On national letter-of-intent day, Neuheisel criticizes recruiting tactics of Oregon and UCLA, drawing a Pac-10 reprimand. UCLA coach Bob Toledo also is reprimanded for comments about Neuheisel, and Oregon reprimanded for the tactics Neuheisel criticized.

April 11, 2002: Colorado officials confirm the school has been accused by the NCAA of a lack of institutional control and multiple minor violations during time Neuheisel was coach.

Sept. 3, 2002: Neuheisel receives a contract extension through the 2007 season, including a $1.5 million loan he does not have to pay back if he works through the life of the contract. With the loan and incentives, Neuheisel now can make more than $1.8 million a season.

Oct. 8, 2002: NCAA completes investigation into Neuheisel's tenure at Colorado and prohibits him from off-campus recruiting through May 31, 2003, as a penalty for his part in more than 50 minor violations.

Dec. 31, 2002: Washington loses to Purdue in Sun Bowl, 34-24, ending a 7-6 season.

Jan. 9, 2003: Neuheisel censured by the American Football Coaches Association after its board finds he has shown a lack of remorse for his role in the Colorado violations.

Feb. 11, 2003: After rumors that he interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers for their head coaching position the previous day, Neuheisel releases a statement denying he ever talked to the 49ers.

Feb. 12, 2003: After more reports that he talked to the 49ers, Neuheisel acknowledges interviewing with San Francisco officials, saying his initial denials were a "knee-jerk reaction" to protect a confidentiality agreement.

Feb. 13, 2003: Washington athletic director Barbara Hedges says there will be no discipline of Neuheisel for lying about having interviewed with the 49ers.

Feb. 14, 2003: Interim UW president Lee Huntsman says he had spoken to Neuheisel about the 49ers incident to make it "especially clear to Rick what the university's expectations are." Huntsman says he is "not prepared to talk about" whether the school had considered firing Neuheisel.

June 4, 2003: NCAA launches inquiry into Neuheisel betting on college basketball. Neuheisel confirms he bet on the NCAA men's basketball tournament for the past two years. He says the bets were made in an annual auction with his friends and neighbors.