scholler

carolyn

Sorry if this has been covered before. Couldnt find anything on a search or going thru a zillion pages in this forum.

Has anyone had problems with the durability of their scholler materials?

I was about to purchase a pair of mtn hardware pants...perfect for warmer ice climbing days and cooler days on the rock. Someone stopped me though and said there have been a number of complaints recently (and things being returned at the store) because the material is ?piling? and strings of material are coming out (not at the seams). THis seems to have happened with some arcteryx jackets and BD pants.

I get a good deal on them and I know I can return them. But I hate to waste the money up front. As well as it would be good to know how well scholler material has held up for others.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ice climbed in a pair of BD Alpine Pants 5 days a week for two years and then used them alot for alpine. I did notice piling and snagged threads, but I think that is was cosmetic mostly and never noticed impaired function. I sold them for $99 and got a new pair. I think that the material is the best available at this time, if you have the money. I have also used the Arc' Teryx Gamma LT Pullover and the BD Ice Glove (old nylon Ice Glove rotated better in leashes) extensively and noticed the same things. These are both Schoeller Dynamic fabric items. I have used items made with the Schoeller Extreme by Arc'Teryx and Cloudveil and noticed less snags, but equal pilling (not a problem). The Arc' Teryx items made with Powershield have never pilled nor snagged for me (but it is too warm for late spring/summer). I totally trust the fabric. If you have the money, buy it.

Schoeller fabric is also much, much more resistant to tears from rock or crampons than other material.

Edited by flatland

Hi Carolyn,

(oops, flatland beat me too it)

There is more than one type of scholler fabric. Their "Dynamic" version is lighter weight and not as durable, but I haven't had any problems with it as of yet. REI and Black Diamond uses this in their scholler pants.

The other type is "Powershield" (I think), and it is heavier, more durable, and more water resistant. Patagonia Guide pants are made out of this stuff. I think it is better, but it depends on what you want it for...

I'd say that the Dynamic works fine in the summer and is cooler, and the Powershield stuff (if that is what it's called) is better in winter conditions.

Either way, you can't go wrong. bigdrink.gif

Edited by Lambone

"Powershield" is made by Malden Mills

"Drynamic" and "Dryskin Extreme" are the two most common weights of Schoeller fabric, they make 5 or 6 but most are not available in North America.

FWIW Arcteryx isnt using Schoeller anymore for ltwt pants, they're using "Tweave" or whatever its called. Dunno who makes it. I think its a Turkish company that's cheaper for same quality.

You can fix pilling in Schoeller by running a lighter flame over the pills

And avoid pilling in the first place by air/line/hangdrying it instead of using a dryer.

Ya know, I just found these pants in the "thrifty" part of our store by chance (used, samples, etc). THey are dynamic. The patagucci powershield ones where WAAAAY too long...besides I like the stretch in the mtn hardware ones better.

I really like the fit and adaptability of them. I guess for 55 bucks I cant go wrong. Wish I could remember the name of the pants. Anyway, I put them on hold for my next paycheck. I couldnt decide earlier today, so I spent my check on building my rack instead! smile.gif

"Powershield" is made by Malden Mills

"Drynamic" and "Dryskin Extreme" are the two most common weights of Schoeller fabric, they make 5 or 6 but most are not available in North America.

Thanks smartypants bigdrink.gif

I bought some cheap REI Dynamic ones and have been pretty happy with them. I wear them on almost every climb...but first I had to cut the REI tag off so my partners wouldn't make fun of me...

Edited by Lambone

Dru said:

DRYnamic, not DYnamic, people!!! Sheesh rolleyes.gif

Sna? My BDV's are Dynamic, never heard of this hybrid beast, the drynamic confused.gif

One last time:

Dryskin rox, my feratta gear is now on six seasons.

DYnamic sux, burrs and pills whether you put it in the dryer or not. If you don't care about the hassles of warranty, buy a pair!

Powershield=warmer equivalent of dryskin.

Can we bury this fucker yet madgo_ron.gif

Powershield has a fuzzy lining ion the inside. It feels nice next to the skin.

The MEC Schoeller Dryskin jacket I got last year had some sizin in the fabric, one wash and it was a little softer. Still not the nicest thing next to the skin, but for 80 bucks US, it's a hell of a jacket in terms of performance and fit.

I cant find the pants on the internet for the life of me.

At any rate, looking at the mtn hw site, it seems they use dYnamic schoeller for these pants.

Hell, I buy 'em for 50-60 bucks, if I dont like 'em I will just sell 'em to someone.

Thanks for the feedback.

flatland said:

Dru said:

DRYnamic, not DYnamic, people!!! Sheesh rolleyes.gif

Drynamic and Dynamic are two different things. Drynamic is Dynamic with a special coating.

ya, Dynamic is trash, get Drynamic, which is what all the plabfolks wear. the coating protects against pilling and also works like APR* in the Whistler bars

*Automatic Panty Remover yellaf.gif

Break Down

Schoeller makes Dynamic, Dryskin Dryskin Extreme 3x

Malden Mills : Powershield (both Reg and new Lighter Weight Vers)

There's also EPIC by Nextec - get to that in a sec

Arctery'x Gamma LT stuff used to use the Schoeller Dynamic (I have the pants and they're great for warmer weather) Their new MX line uses the lighter version of the Powershield

REI Uses the heavier Powershield in their "One" JKT and the Shoeller Dynamic in the the Mistral stuff.

Cloudveil, Mammut and Marmot use the Dryskin Extreme 3x in various products Ice Floe, Serendipty Jkts, Champ Pants, ATV Jkt

Champ Pants rock for most conditions and are ergonomically cut to boot.

Patagonia uses a proprietary Powershield for their Core Skin seires (checkered fleece inside ala R. series instead of straight fleece) Their Guide pants and Dimension Jkt both used a version of EPIC fabric.

Schoeller fabrics are a "weave" style soft shell. They tend to be more breathable and flexible than powershield.

Powershield (both thicknesses) is a laminate. The outer layer is the stretchy DWR coated part laminated to fleece inner section. These tend to be more weather and abrasion resistant but sacrifice some breathability and stretch for it.

EPIC is an encapsulation process in which individual fibers are coated in a "rubber" before being woven together. Falls somewhere between the other two in functionality.

I have and have used all three and found they fit different uses well. Champ pants (Dryskin Extreme 3x) and Dimension Jkt (EPIC 7oz) are my faves

There are new ones out there like Trango by GORE but haven't had a chance to test those yet...

David_Parker said:

carolyn said:

Sorry if this has been covered before. Couldnt find anything on a search or going thru a zillion pages in this forum.

Probably didn't find any thing because its spelled SCHOELLER!

awww geeeeeeeeeez! rolleyes.gif

Ya know I spelled it every which way and backwards while searching and looking thru posts. After doing this with a few moose drools in hand I didnt think it would matter how I spelled it in the post.

Youre all a smart crew of folks. Figured you would know what I meant. wink.gif

Thanks again all for your immediate feedback. Thats what I love about this site! grin.gif

bigdrink.gifcheers!