scholler

carolyn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to keep things confusing in here, but most everyone is on the money here, including, trask;

scholler is a great textile mill, there's plenty of good varieties of scholler out there, easily a dozen fabrics, including some great stuff for the equestrians and firefighters out there as well.

if you are conxcerned about durability, get tweave. this is a mill from south carolina, not turkey, that makes a more durable summer weight soft shell fabric, being used in some arcteryx garments this season.

Also, some of the patagonia soft shells like the dimension jacket were a Dupont fabric, some a proprietory malden mills fabric. these were even more abrasion resistant than scholler. encapsulation aka "epic by nextex" isnt' a fabric at all, but a DWR treatment that eventually wears out. even though the hang tags say its permanent.

in Schollers vast products line, they have a version of powershield, a fleece laminate fabric, it think they call it WB-400.

this stuff ROCKS for winter, its got 30% 4-way stretch and is 100% windproof. I've got some big mountain bibs last year made from this stuff, and it is a real one layer system. They fit like a glove, and stretch like a pair of tights. I can wear these as a stand alone piece mid winter in the most heinous NW conditions imaginable- ground blizzards and seventy mile an hour winds, this stuff is all you need.

but why worry about how you look? the durability of scholler is not a problem. I've got some scholler dryskin bibs that are going on 5 years old now and they are holdng up fine. I think I had to restitch some seams were they just worn out. and theres some pilling, but not too bad.

Most of the stuff said earlier is pretty accurate.

Minor point to add is that the new version of what I guess is DrySkin, is much stretchier and has a vastly improved DWR than earlier offerings. You do pay a weight penalty however.

I’ve also used a “Powershield-like” Shoeller with 2 way stretch. Personally I prefer Powershield or Powershield light for that application. Better wind resistance and less weight. Perhaps Schoeller has something heavier still?

Overall, Schoeller is really good for summer, but in my mind, Powershield or Powershield light wins decisively for winter use.

GB