What books are you reading?

EWolfe

sobo said:

RobBob,

We aren't trying to de-instill competition in him; not at all. Friendly competition is healthy. What we don't want is to be like so many other "soccer parents" that stand at the sidelines exhorting their kid to "win at all costs" or pressuring him through the young years to excell like a brainiac and getting him to take the SATs in the fifth grade or something like that. That kind of pressure on a kid is not healthy. He will win, and he will lose. He will get things right, and he will get things wrong. And it's all OK.

I will look for that book you mentioned and possibly give it a read. Thanks for the heads up. thumbs_up.gif

You, too, Muffy! wave.gif

A word on crazy soccer moms. It could be that I have so far just lucked out. My kid plays on the "B" team rolleyes.gif and most of the other families are realy cool. we all hang out and root for each others kids. our coach is the worlds nicest guy and we realy have a lot of fun. I think that they key is finding others of like mind. and getting to know them. that is how you get on the team with the other parents that realy just want their kids to have fun. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

snaf.gif hey look I snaffled wink.gif

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is total thread drift but:

re: soccer moms and competitive kids.

watch out it starts early! I firmly believe that competition even at a young age is a good thing. There are lessons to be learned from losing as well as winning. If we continue w/this everybody is a winner attitude our kids miss out on valuable life lessons.

HOWEVER- i HATE that my 2nd grader's new soccer couch is agressively serious. He e-mailed me w/a list of expectations that seem a bit high for a bunch of 8 year olds. Basically told me if we weren't ready to take soccer seriously we should go find a different league. Whatever! Too

sobo said:

Books about parenting is all I get to read these days.

Already read Rise & Fall of Third Reich, Burden of Guilt, A Brief History of Time, Dante's Inferno, Ghandi, etc. Those days of serious, deep thought reading are behind me, for I have entered into what my other friends with kids call... The Dark Years... shocked.gifrolleyes.gif

Sobo,

It does feel like the dark years some days with children.

But they can bring a lot of joy and laughter when it is needed in a home. Have you ever read "Parenting with Love and Logic"? I would recommend it for any parent of any age.

MINX

email him back and tell him to fuck himself

these fucking coaches are outta control

my coaches didn't pull that shit on us, and we always

had winning teams

course we weren't pussys to start with

and we grew up fighting and fucking

around with girls, not boys and animals

and catholic priests

my 9 yr. old daughter can

put 8 rounds of .45 in a 4" group at 7 yds.

my son is an excellent trap shooter at 13

and beats the fuck outta assholes that flip

him shit

competitive spirit is unbred

minx said:

I realize this is total thread drift but:

re: soccer moms and competitive kids.

watch out it starts early! I firmly believe that competition even at a young age is a good thing. There are lessons to be learned from losing as well as winning. If we continue w/this everybody is a winner attitude our kids miss out on valuable life lessons.

HOWEVER- i HATE that my 2nd grader's new soccer couch is agressively serious. He e-mailed me w/a list of expectations that seem a bit high for a bunch of 8 year olds. Basically told me if we weren't ready to take soccer seriously we should go find a different league. Whatever! Too

That's exactly what we're going to try and avoid (the aggressive ly serious coach/teacher/whatever. It's OK for kids to have expectations put upon them. It's also OK for a kid to strive. It builds character and teaches life lessons. But it's also OK not to be the best at everything. What must not be overlooked is the age-appropriateness of the expectation. Expecting 8-year-olds to play like World Cup champs is a way bit over the top. Likewise with SATs in teh fifth grade (to use my earlier example). Age-appropriate expectations, behaviors, rewards, and punishments are what we're going to try first. Wish us luck!

Sobo,

That sounds about like our attitude. I guess my biggest beef with kids' life today is overscheduling. My wife and I agree that we don't like the idea of the kids having this grown-up kind school/soccer/dance/etc daily frenzy...but then you get sucked into it anyway if you are not careful. I want the kids to get outside, play in the dirt, climb trees, ride bikes. But that seems to compete with stuff that seems too 'adult' to me except in small doses.

kitten,

I buy Barbara Kingsolver books for my wife when I see them. She lieks them for light reading (when she's tired of the parenting books).

Thanks for the tip on the Love and Logic book. Sounds more like my style of parenting guide, what being an n-gn-eer and all.

Fence_Sitter said:

what are you guys reading like 8 books at a time... or are you just recalling all the cool sounding shit you read in ontro to lit. in you freshmen year? confused.gif

my fucking point exactly bigdrink.gif

truth be told, they're probably all jacking off to the latest edition of Playgirl yellaf.gif

sisu_suomi said:

Just finished The Great Shark Hunt by Thompson

Started Frank Smythe's 6 alpine/himalayan book

Always reading about tropical fish, crustaceans, nematodes, etc.

Have you read anything about Shakleton's ventures?

It is a must read. smile.gif Depits the true human spirit of survival and love for life. AND PAIN

YUP THE DEATH BEATER....

GOOD PLACE TO MAKE BREAKFAST ALL IN THE SUN AND SHIT....

PEARYLY GAYTZ IS A GOOD CRAG...STACKED AS FAR AS THE ICICLE GOES WITH CRACKS.......SOME PRETTY GOOD FACE ROUTES AS WELL..DID YOU DO THE ROUTE WITH THE BOLT ON THE OVERHANG?

CLIMBED RABBIT EARS!!! FUN FUN FUN !!! MOSTLY CHOSS AND DIRT!!

A STELLAR CORNER THO!!!!!

That book about Ernest Shackelton rockband.gif I give it 5 thumbs_up.gif on a scale of 1 to 5. 28 guys stranded on a frozen mass for what- like 14 months after the ship broke up? Then overland for hundreds of miles, then another boring encampment, then setting sail in whalers for a tiny island 800 miles away across the Drake Passage. Then landing on the wrong side of the island and making the first overland traverse of Elephant Island. Then returning after a few unsuccessful attempts to rescue the remaining crew And everyone survived the entire ordeal!

Their ship was appropriately named... the Endurance.

trask said:

Fence_Sitter said:

what are you guys reading like 8 books at a time... or are you just recalling all the cool sounding shit you read in ontro to lit. in you freshmen year? confused.gif

my fucking point exactly bigdrink.gif

truth be told, they're probably all jacking off to the latest edition of Playgirl yellaf.gif

If you guys have ever had to listen to the garbly goop JayB and GregW discuss on approaches you wouldn't doubt some of these folks are voracious readers and pretty damn smart too boot. At one point, I thought my brain might explode just from listening too closely and trying to follow along as they discussed various authors and books about Libertarianism and economics and stuff. cantfocus.gif

I'm still working on reading Moby Dick for some reason. Reading that novel is my white whale. rolleyes.gif

My favorite read is Last of the Mohicans. pitty.gif But, like trask, I keep my reading pretty light. I think I've read 30-40 climbing text's and novels in the last 2 years.

Trask: "my 9 yr. old daughter can

put 8 rounds of .45 in a 4" group at 7 yds.

my son is an excellent trap shooter at 13

and beats the fuck outta assholes that flip

him shit "

Do you live in a trailer?

"Jeez, last week my son and his friend got into a full blown fist fight in my yard. A true face punchout battle which I finally had to break up when my son Drew was slamming the other fucker's face into my cedar fence. "

Sounds like a good candidate for gun ownership,

the_finger.gif

The YEti