What's the Worst Piece of Gear that You Own???

JayB

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Diamond Shrike ice tools. I bought these to replace an old pair of CMs. The weight is not concentrated in the head so they lack 'punch' for waterfalls, the head is incredibly uncomfortable to grap in cane mode, the adze is ridiculously small and has a stupid shape, the rubber grip is easily damaged and the picks are not as durable as CMs.

after putting some thought to it, i think the biggest piece of crap in all the outdoor industry would have to be nalgene water bottles. seriously who in the world would pat $6 for a water bottle that leaks and they do break. plus like 500 other reason why not to buy them.

go buy a quart of gatorade and use that bottle. $1.59 plus you get a free drink and who cares what happens to it when you lose it or what.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
after putting some thought to it, i think the biggest piece of crap in all the outdoor industry would have to be nalgene water bottles. seriously who in the world would pat $6 for a water bottle that leaks and they do break. plus like 500 other reason why not to buy them.

go buy a quart of gatorade and use that bottle. $1.59 plus you get a free drink and who cares what happens to it when you lose it or what.

I am a gatorade bottle fan too. Just watch out if you drop them just right the lid breaks easily. Other than that they work sweeto!

quote:

I wrap them with duct tape (including a dead sling for clipping into belays) to beef them up some. They last for years.

quote:

With the defense of Nalgenes! I never destroyed one, I never had an escape, I never had a rupture. AND they come now in various colors, thus you can differentiate the bottle from wee of the bottle of water!

Nalgene bottles... like most petroleum based products over time and exposure to UV rays will deteriorate.. On a winter climb several years ago air temp around 10F I tapped the bottle with the back side of my hand to knock the ice loose on the inside and put my knuckle thru the @#$%&* thing

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: wdietsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by wdietsch:
Nalgene bottles... like most petroleum based products over time and exposure to UV rays will deteriorate.. On a winter climb several years ago air temp around 10F I tapped the bottle with the back side of my hand to knock the ice loose on the inside and put my knuckle thru the @#$%&* thing

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: wdietsch ]

You must be old skool!

the water bottle is a hot topic... this thread is destined to be the next "muir on saturday"... gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks!gatorade bottle sucks! tongue.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Dr.E:

Come to think of it, I have a batch of booty beaners that are worthless but I can't make myself throw away. I wouldnt trust them to rap off, who knows their history?

Been meaning to alert climbing public to Bonatti blue gate left at some rap point on Burgundy Spire this September by Slovenian friend who borrowed it from me. Said artifact was purchased '68 from Charlie's in Boston (MA) back when you could still spit across the EMS showroom down the street. Best piece of gear I owned.

Worst gear owned:

Black Diamond Mixed Master pack- webbing slipped through buckles, shoulder straps and hip belt delaminated, seams blew apart. A perfect example of why Serratus and Arc'teryx works.

Dromedary water bladder- drip, drip, drip…

Black Diamond VBL socks- big seams, a toggle that needed to be cut off, and they delaminated after 11 days. Glad kitchen catchers last for 7, cost about 1% as much and proved to be more comfortable.

GB