What's the Worst Piece of Gear that You Own???

JayB

I’d have to vote for my BD Switchblade crampons. Take forever to adjust, rust in seconds, the super-wack snow dealy between the front point doesn’t seem good for anything except impeding penetration of the front points, and the secondary points are set so far back from the frontpoints that you have to drop your heel about 45 degrees below parallel to get them to engage, and they’re heavy as hell. After my last outing I decided enough was enough and ordered some Rambocomp mono’s from sportextreme.The only downside that I can forsee here is that it will be that much tougher to blame flailing on my crampons.

Just wondering what they worst piece of gear that you own is - and what you'd like to replace it with... rolleyes.gif" border="0

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys actually fell for that Thermarest crap?

Those were bogus from DAY ONE. Oh, three times heavier than a foam pad and prone to puncture, valve failure and they still get people to buy em!

I've got some Rescue 8's laying around if anyone wants some , although I see a ressurection by Petzl for cavers called the PIRAHNNA. Oh yeah, and a three layer goretex mountain parka for sale, CHEAP.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Beck ]

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:
You guys actually fell for that Thermarest crap?

Those were bogus from DAY ONE. Oh, three times heavier than a foam pad and prone to puncture, valve failure and they still get people to buy em!

I've got some Rescue 8's laying around if anyone wants some , although I see a ressurection by Petzl for cavers called the PIRAHNNA. Oh yeah, and a three layer goretex mountain parka for sale, CHEAP.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Beck ]

all fig 8s are bunk but thermarests are much warmer than foam pads on snow. whats wrong with 3 layer? its better than 2 layer. confused.gif" border="0

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]

Up until recently, I was an avid bow hunter. One birthday I opened a present from my mom, a "bow" light. Only problem was it is the green and red light you mount on the BOW of a boat. Sure woulda looked funny puttin the sneak on a deer with my red and green light mounted on the top limb of my bow to indicate which direction I was going. rolleyes.gif" border="0

beck i always thought you said that wool/scholer blended rescue garter with leggings with full strenth haul and belay loops was the worst. all itchy on the bros and what not. maybe cause teddy gave it you i don't know. cause his bear fur kimono will always be with me. it smells so good.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

Me three. There is a good reason why they repair them for free.

They only suck because of their weight. I've never had one break. So nice and comfy!

Worst piece of gear: camelbak. No one can convince me that they're great. They ALWAYS leak! Or freeze! Last weekend, a hundred yards from the truck, my friend went to take a sip of his camelbak. Nothing. Totally dry! He started freaking out! He was sure he had topped it off the previous night! Turns out an elastic band he had on the hose end had slid down to the valve, compressing it, and releasing the 2 litres of water in the back of his truck on the drive.

Make those thirsty Bastards SUFFER, cavey? Why you give them water?

Erik, you don't need to bring my scholler stuffed sausage warmers with the rescue garters into it, I'll never forgive you for stealing Teddy's bear skin kimono! Is it keeping you warm right now on some frosty belay ledge while you spray vile untruths in the twilight with a Satlink laptop?