ouch

allison

My computer lost its lunch last night. I got the blue screen of death, and had to reformat. Lost everything. I mean EVERYTHING.

So to remind everyone of what we all know but don't always do: use firewalling, and back up your data.

If this crash was by any chance a little viral prank, congratulations, it was massive and catastrophic. Nice work.cry.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep my OS and programs on a separate drive. if the shit hits the fan, I can just format that drive and I keep all my other data. I also try to backup my documents, email, and such once a month (although it sometimes winds up being more like 6 months frown.gif) These are all kept on separate drives anyway. I can't backup my mp3's, there's just too damn many of them.

The guy from Dell who walked me through the reinstall said either I picked something up on the Internet or something was pushed toward me.

I'm not saying it was one or the other, cuz nobody knows! tongue.gif

And Dalius yes we tried numerous less invasive fixes before the reformat.

Edited by allison

the burnner is fine, but with 2 harddrives it's easier. You can install all of your apps and data and such to the second drive, than if the OS craps out and you need to reformat you do not loose as much. But it's always possible for the 2nd drive to crap out too. (so you back up onto CD every so often anyways).

Backing up data == good

Lost data == sux

Edited by ctuller

Last time I got the blue screen I tossed the hole unit; screen, tower, speekers, printer; out the window of my thrid story appartment... It was an oldy, and had crashed three times before... I haven't had a crash since; goin' on six years...

Here's a geek question. I have partitioned my hard drive into three virtual disks, C:, D:, and E:. They hold system software, applications, and data (files), respectively. If my OS get's screwed up and I have to reformat and reinstall, like Allison, can I reformat only the C: drive and leave D: and E: intact?

its a proven fact that cc.com powered by its .SPRAY technology performs much better on windows XP running IE 6.0. the stress testing results from our QA spray labs have shown that the speed and ease of obtaining page tops and spraying in a windows environment is far faster than that of a Mac.

seriously folks, get your priorities straight and buy the right hardware that will make your spraysperience better.

Allison- Perhaps you called tech support after hours when it is outsourced to India, Dell tech support gobbles major knobbles.