Slideshow-Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding Classics with Gary Brill, Nov. 30

The_North_Face

Join us Friday at 7:00 p.m. for a free slideshow with backcountry ski guru, Gary Brill.

A connoisseur of great snow and spectacular runs for a sampling of fresh powder slopes and long corn snow runs from British Columbia to California, and from Washinton to Utah. Along the way, Gary will discuss some tips on finding and selecting new runs and on controlling risk in a high-risk environment. Gary has been a backcountry enthusiast for over 30 years and for the past 15 years has provided avalanche course instruction for over 2,300 students. This exhilarating presentation is guaranteed to have you dreaming about that perfect backcountry powder ski or snowboard run!

Hope to see you there!

The North Face1023 First AvenueSeattle, WA 98104206-622-4111

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw the Northface! They fucked my good buddy out of $2K when their stock went tits up. Now don't say it was my buddies own fault. He listened to his bitch fat assed ex girlfriend, yes, but the managment of TNF screwed everybody by channel stuffing and stock manipulations. I don't know why the SEC didn't get involved. Fuck you North Face, and Fuck that pompous personality lacking piece of shit. Gary, I will never forget you dissing me in Moab in 1991!

Gary sucks Dan Larson!

Hey I think the Air Force and Navy have bombed Afghanistan enough...there is an uglier, more evil target that needs to be taken out no matter what the cost...the TNF EDITION AVALANCHE. Give me a f**cking break...I'm sure we will soon see lots of them prowling the streets of Seattle though. I heard Panther has even been seen driving one around the Pass.

Hey, someone mentioned Eddie Bauer Edition Fords. I HAVE ONE!!! They are soooooo dang cool!!!

OK so mine is a '85 Bronco II with 200K on it that I bought when I moved here for $1700 and had to immediatly put a muffler on, a new battery, a MAJOR tune up, new radial arm bushings, a valve adjustment, coolant flush and thermostat, rear u-jounts, clean the carpets, pressure wash the engine, do the rear brakes....there is more to do still but I have only had it a month. But DAMMIT, it says EDDIE BAUER right on the dash!!!!

The coolest part is the inflatable, yes thats right everyone, inflatable lumbar supports. It even has window cranks, no buttons, those are for wussies. Anyone want a ride??????

BTW, Gary seemed cool when I saw him once. And free slide shows rock. TNF was great till Jansport bought 'em and all their good designers went on to create Mountain Hardwear. A little like Harley Davidson in the '80s when AMC took over........... OK, I am done now. Good morning everyone!

I never meant to imply that Gary wasn't cool, from what I've seen he's pretty rad. I just thought the damn Avalanche was too much. And read the description on the Avalanche page...What the hell is a North Face special seat? It has batteries and heater filaments like that new jacket or something? (batteries so when that piece of shit chevy breaks down you can keep your ass thawed while waiting for a tow truck?)

Halling is pimpin a Caddy? "Where da hoz at? East side, see hoz are like a car 'cause I take 'em for a test drive" - Kid Rock

You are right Will, they look just plain silly. The scary thing is that with improved technology (ignoring TNF heated seats and official logo floor mats) many of these large SUV's actually get better gas milage than many of the sedans and other passenger cars we all used to drive in the 80's

I have a friend who just bought a Ford F250 crew-cab pickup to haul his camper and tow his driftboat. It has a diesel large enough to pull a house off its foundation and still gets 16 mpg in town. Ask the nearest v6 Toyota fourrunner owner what kind of mileage they get. shocked.gif" border="0 I never want a vehicle that big but there it is!

P.S. My groovey new Bronco gets about the same mileage, and I could probably park it in the back of an Excursion. (Which comes with the same diesel if you want it)

You know Johnny, it amazes me that there aren't more turbo diesels in cars. The only company putting a diesel in a passenger car these days (for sale in the US anyway) is VW. Seems like Ford and/or Daimer/Chrysler would adapt those powerstroke or Cummins TDs to a car sized powerplant. Those TDI VWs get close to 50mpg. Even Mercedes doesn't sell a US diesel anymore (to my knowledge anyway). For the most part, diesel engines are tanks, and get much better mileage. They run a little dirtier, but I'd imagine that if the Feds mandated it, they could find effective pollution control mechanisms. Also, diesel takes less refining than regular gas, so should theoretically be cheaper.

Thing is that diesels run much tighter than gas engines, higher compression; the result of much smaller tolerances and better part machining. They run best at lower, more controlled rpm's. They work great at consistant stuff like highway driving and pulling houses off of foundations (and hauling loads). Also work great at moving BIGGER vehichles around. It seems to be a matter of scale. Those old VW Rabbit diesels were just too damn small to see any benefit from a diesel (those little powerplants are better off as generators!) Everyone is trained to want to wind out a small car moter (thanks Japan!!)

Little benefit and fuel availability make for a very small market for micro-diesel vehichles, hence their slow demise. They work excellent at moving Ford Excursions with 23' Sea Ox's in tow however. Gas engines just cannot compete at that!

P.S. Most of that nasty smoke eminating from a diesel is relatively large particulate matter that setles out pretty quick, unlike carbon monoxide and other gasses which are much worse for us!!!!!!!

OK so I like talking about cars too even if I know about as much about them as I do climbing: just enough to be dangerous to myself as well as others grin.gif" border="0

P.S. I think Japanese vehichles absolutely ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just to avoid the inevitable spray I realized may come from that innocent comment in my last post...)

Cavey, how do I import and use all those cool graemlins I keep seeing here. You know, the ones that are not available on the bottom of this page?????

How many spark plugs does a V-8 diesel have????

Diesel engines have compression ratios on the magnitude of 26 thru 32 to 1. Whereas most automobiles are between 8 and 9 to 1. The reason diesels have such high compression ratios is that there is no spark plugs. The fuel is auto-ignited when compressed at that high of a ratio. The tolerances in a diesel actually start out looser, as the heat generated from that is much greater, therefore thermal expansion has to be taken into account. This is also the reason why my Cummins takes a 3 gallon oil change. The volume of the oil is required to feed spray bars that spray directly to the bottom side of the piston crown to aid in cooling.

Diesel is injected at about 17,000 PSI to form a super fine mist and to overcome the rising compression pressures as the piston is coming towards top dead center. I would reccomend checking the line pressure with your finger tip. Automotive fuel injection systems run on about 80 psi injection pressure.

Diesels create torque. Torque is work. Torque is generated via the super high compression ratios and mech advantage- large pistons and long strokes. Cummins diesels are an in-line 6 cylinder which then creates more torque. The powerstrokes are a V-8 which creates more horsepower. The increased gas mileage chiefly is gained from the lowered RPM's...My truck cruises at about 1700 RPM doing 70 down the road...The truck by itself wieghs 7100# empty...I can tow another 6500# and still maintain 13-14 mpg...

Damn wasnt this thread about spraying TNF? I just love all the posuers...Maybe we can get Calvin peeing on the TNF logo stickers???

Rumor has it Larson drives an avalanche...