• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

rbw1966 said:

Hey Ursa--

I'll be at the Pub Club at the Horse Brass Thursday. I drive a forest green 4runner and I will park it right out front under a streetlight. Bring some stickers. And some bandages.

Here's a story for all you judgmental little twits out there: I own the above-described SUV. I've been bike commuting to work and elsewhere in Portland for over 15 years (7 of those years I didn't even own a car). For the most part, my truck remains idle throughout the week (less than 20K in the 4 years that I've owned it). I use it when I go to the mountains, when I am hauling a lot of crap and/or my two dogs. My wife drives a TDI Passat that gets about 40mpg on the highway but is impractical for hauling around gear and dogs and she doesn't want to fuck it up by driving down the gravel roads that I oftentimes drive my truck down. On the extremely rare occasion that I drive to work you may actually see me driving solo in it with a suit on because my wife drives the Passat to her work.

Oh--and in those 15 years of bike commuting I've had three accidents involving motor vehicles. Twice with hondas and once with a BMW. Never with an SUV.

So Ursa, wanna tag my truck? Its really sad that you are this judgmental. A car is a tool. Do I need to drive an SUV? Probably not but its the right tool for the job.

I thought I'd made it clear in my previous posts that I don't have a problem with the people who actually use SUVs. Also 4Runners are much smaller than suburbans and excursions. My biggest gripes are with the large (at least expedition size) SUKs that have big rims and is blatently obvious that they're not being used off-road at all. I get really pissed off at the people who buy them because they're idiots (to commute, to keep up with the Jones, to try and impress people.) It's obvious that you do *NOT* fall under one of these catagories.

As for bike commuting, I haven't been here that long, but the very few times that I've almost gotten hit have all been with large vehicles. It may sound like a generalization thing based on not enough evidence, but I also see it as a visibility thing. When you're too high off the road, you can look over bikers, whereas it's harder to do that in a car. (Also, visibility in the mirrors.)

Charlie said:

madgo_ron.gifLet's go back to discussing the beating of sticker applicators. The alternative fuel discussion is boring- too much like work. Bring on the insults and threats of violence madgo_ron.gif

Flywheels are the answer. I'm still trying to get a job doing the research and development of them. Quick version: take a 25 or 50 lb carbon fiber/epoxy flywheel, suspend it on magnets in a vacuum, wrap wires around the outside to get energy in and out of the system. Spin it up to around 100,000 RPM (doesn't take too long, I think well under an hour, maybe only 10 minutes.) That's your energy storage device. Use that energy to power electric motors. Not only does it get the range of a normal car, but it provides an insane amount of horsepower.

Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to be talking about alternative fuels, huh? wink.gif

Jim- you suck, but have some grief right now, so I'll spare you.

JoshK- you definitely suck, and you climb the same route every weekend

RobBob- you are destroying the environment with your v8 4runner. Us tree-huggers drive the 2002 w/ the v6

Erik- you suck because you get to go climbing more than me, and because you have a red afro.

Ursa- you suck because you're gay, and that's what gay people do

JGowen- you suck because you are British and British people smoke fags

Muffy- you suck because your husband sent meatgrinder and I had to hang

YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!

Ursa_Eagle said:

Charlie said:

madgo_ron.gifLet's go back to discussing the beating of sticker applicators. The alternative fuel discussion is boring- too much like work. Bring on the insults and threats of violence madgo_ron.gif

Flywheels are the answer. I'm still trying to get a job doing the research and development of them. Quick version: take a 25 or 50 lb carbon fiber/epoxy flywheel, suspend it on magnets in a vacuum, wrap wires around the outside to get energy in and out of the system. Spin it up to around 100,000 RPM (doesn't take too long, I think well under an hour, maybe only 10 minutes.) That's your energy storage device. Use that energy to power electric motors. Not only does it get the range of a normal car, but it provides an insane amount of horsepower.

Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to be talking about alternative fuels, huh? wink.gif

OK, this sounds very interesting. Can you point me to where I could read more about this?

Charlie said:

RobBob- you are destroying the environment with your v8 4runner. Us tree-huggers drive the 2002 w/ the v6

Erik- you suck because you get to go climbing more than me, and because you have a red afro.

YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!

Well, hell, at least I get the only mention of climbing at *all* on the list of people who suck. BTW, what route do I climb every weekend? I can't even remember the last route that I repeated.

JoshK said:

Charlie said:

YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!

Well, hell, at least I get the only mention of climbing at *all* on the list of people who suck. BTW, what route do I climb every weekend? I can't even remember the last route that I repeated.

YEAH RIGHT DOOD!

I GOT MAD PROPS FROM MY NAGGA CHARLES!

JoshK said:

OK, this sounds very interesting. Can you point me to where I could read more about this?

Discover Magazine, August 1998. It's an article called "Reinventing the Wheel" I'll see if I can find a link. There was also an article in Wired back in May of 2000 (I think?) I actually been talking with the guys that the articles were written about, and if I could ever get a job there, I may even consider leaving Portland. (The original article back in 1998 was the main reason I went into materials engineering.)

Charlie said:

It's lonely being the only fat bully around here. I miss Ray.

Yeah, so what the hell happeend with him? I was gone last weekend and didn't read all the back spray.

Also, please enlighten me as to which route I climb weekend after weekend.

Bronco said:

Caveman was banned but Ray's been here under some avatars (if you can believe it!) I might be him right now!

die! die! die!

LOL...what did he post that got him banned? I looked but assumed any offending post was removed.

I'm gonna find an old ford f-250 that get's about 6 mpg with 44" super swampers and drive around Seattle laying an oil slick and smoke screen with roofing nails falling off the tailgate so you puny yuppies will really have something to whine about. Maybe drag some smoldering trees behind it for effect.

Gargle butt gravy eyeasses! madgo_ron.gif

Someone signed me up for recieveing propoganda from the Sierra Club by the way. I send back used oil filters in the return envelopes. the_finger.gif

JoshK said:

trask said:

I caught a guy stickering my car today while I was buying some shit at cascade crags. He now has what appears to be a broken nose.

Maybe you decked scot'mammut? yelrotflmao.gif

yellaf.gif No, but Scott sold me some shit. He's shorter than I figured. He didn't believe me when I told him who I was.

trask said:

JoshK said:

trask said:

I caught a guy stickering my car today while I was buying some shit at cascade crags. He now has what appears to be a broken nose.

yellaf.gif No, but Scott sold me some shit. He's shorter than I figured he be.

we all are pernis. ever light your hare on fire accidentally? i did onece. dont' be so smug just cause your tall.

i got just the truck for brocno, its a dualie too!

BURP said:

trask said:

JoshK said:

trask said:

yellaf.gif No, but Scott sold me some shit. He's shorter than I figured he be.

we all are pernis. ever light your hare on fire accidentally? i did onece. dont' be so smug just cause your tall.

i got just the truck for brocno, its a dualie too!

I caught my nutsac in my zipper once. Now that fucking hurt.

RobBob said:

Okay all you goobers,

I have something to say. There have been all these assertions and slams on people who own SUVs. I think it's just fine that people voice their strong objection to SUVs if they want to. (I don't get why it's okay to own a pickup truck but not an SUV...but whatever.)

I just loaded a 40' ocean container, box by 50-lb box, w/ 3 other guys...going home to shower. Then maybe enjoy driving my new SUV. cool.gif

Wow - this is getting to be an odd thread. The above quote especially so. Have to wade into the deep end of the testosterone pool for this one. Why not just slap a big L on you forehead why don't 'cha? Or I guess you could just buy a big honkin' SUV or - oh, wait a minute. Men- can't live with them, can't take them out with the trash. wave.gif

My truck gets shitty mileage, pollutes like a bastard, intimidates small cars due to it's height, is noisy as hell with glass packs, takes a push in the ass to help a chica into the seat, has cum stains on the seat cover, beer stains throughout and has enough seeds on the floor to start a grow operation. What's not to like?

I'm proud to be in the NRA, and a card carrying Redneck Sumbitch. Anybody don't like it can kiss my ass. bigdrink.gif