Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably too small for you, but i have a '98 Honda Passport (which is really an Isuzu Rodeo) that I like a lot. Mostly because it's not too big, has good power (215 hp i think), and very open. When I look to the side or the back, i can see all the way around me, as opposed to a lot of the SUVs out there.

and that whole anti-SUV argument is just another way for people to feel good about themselves. yea tag my SUV when i take the bus to work everyday. somehow you're more american driving your sedan everyday? give me a fucking break.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

instead of spending $20 grand on a huge ass SUV that can also take yer family at 65 mph down the highway, get a $10k used minivan for kid-haulin, and a $10K used truck with jacked up suspension for gnarly off road. or even a $10K unimog!!!

eternalX said:

and that whole anti-SUV argument is just another way for people to feel good about themselves. yea tag my SUV when i take the bus to work everyday. somehow you're more american driving your sedan everyday? give me a fucking break.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Give me a break, dude. Another way to feel good about themselves? There are plenty of good reasons to push for getting more and more of the giant SUVs off the road, and feeling good about oneself is not one of them. The reasons are numerous and obvious to anybody that wants to pay attention.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

JayB said:

I think that anyone that believes in this cause enough to deface someone else's property to promote it should be man enough to plaster these stickers on the rigs right in front of the owners.

I'm in favor of energy conservation for a number of reasons, and practice what I preach by riding my bike to work at least 4-days a week, etc, etc - but I still think that skulking around an plastering these things one someone else's car because you don't approve of their choice of vehicles is about as dickless as it gets. How do you know whether they need or not, or in what capacity they use it? Moreover, what gives you the right to tell them what is and is not an acceptable vehicle for them? Vote for politicians that are in favor of imposing higher fuel efficiency requirements if that's what you want, but if the government says a car is legal you've got no business defacing it IMO.

Besides - there are quite a few mini-vans, a number of sedans (Cady's et al) and a whole slew of sports cars that get mileage that's every bit as poor as many of the SUV's out there....

Number one, fuck that; this is about as minor as "vandalism" gets. Two minutes with a razor blade, and the sticker is off (although if people really wanna do a non-offensive job, the window IS the best place for it). Plus, it's a fun and subversive way to spread a message and make a point, and anyone that isn't into a little bit of fun subversion is, to employ the right-wing idiom, "a pussy." Number two, what makes you think people who would do something like this don't already do things like vote for pro-gas-mileage restriction politicians, etc.? Just because people are interested in pursuing minorly illegal avenues to further their agenda doesn't mean they haven't explored the legal options as well.

I'm not telling anyone not to plaster someone's cars with these stickers - just saying that you should be man enough to do it right in front of the owners.

A V10 Viper changes the climate every bit as fast as a Yukon or Suburban, and having a car with a top speed at least 100 mph is excess of the legal speed limit is at least as wasteful as cruising around in an SUV that you never take off the road. Why no crusade against muscle cars? And, as others have pointed out, its really mpg x miles driven that determines how much CO2 introduce into the atmosphere, and accordingly how much you "Change the Climate." as a result of your personal choices. One could make the same arguments for defacing someone's house because it is far larger than what some subgroup of society deems appropriate for X number of people, and consequently uses far more energy to heat and light than a more modest home would.

If you live in any part of the first world, you are changing the climate too. Get over it, muchachos.

You know, those stickers are meant to target vehicles that contribute significantly to global warming ("I'm changing the climate"). Assuming that excessive car emissions CAN do that, the target for them should be vehicles that are more than 10 years old. Many of the new SUVs, like my "narsty" Avalanche are ULEVs, whose emissions are low. The Subaru I traded in likely gave off more pollutants, even considering the roughly extra 9 mpg I got with it. (Reminds me of the "environmentalist" I knew who drove a 15 year old Volvo that blew visible smoke.)

The "sticker new SUV" web site specifically protects those poor slobs who can't afford a new gas hog, which probably should be the worst offender in their eyes (gas hog, higher emissions, probably not tuned to boot.) This makes no fucking sense, unless they are just against people having nicer vehicles, which seems to be the case.

I'm for acting for a cause that is justified and you believe in, but the justification of these actions is pretty thin and they're inconsistent with their own mission.

Harry_Pi said:

Hello capitalist!

Suprise no one mention Honda Pilot.

Thank you allow chinamen to post on American website.

Please tell us all about the Pilot, oh racist caricature. Please be "humorous" about it, with lots of predictable poor grammar. I'm sure you might be bright enough to come up with other characteristics that you haven't even thought of yet. Come on, it's a wide open field! Have fun! Continue to make a complete ass of yourself!

sexual_chocolate said:

JayB said:

Why no crusade against muscle cars?

Muscle cars don't represent over 50% of the vehicles on the road, that's why. They also don't contribute to so many traffic fatalities either. Quite simple.

I heard that 5.0 liter Mustangs used to be a significant killer of adolescent males....

sexual_chocolate said:

JayB said:

Why no crusade against muscle cars?

Muscle cars don't represent over 50% of the vehicles on the road, that's why. They also don't contribute to so many traffic fatalities either. Quite simple.

Is this about endangering other drivers or excessive CO2 emissions? If it's about safety, then that's quite a different campaign, and in that case you'd be better served by focusing your ire on drunk drivers, people talking on their cell phones when driving, speeding, etc.

The folks behind the "I'm Changing the Climate!" campaign seem to be objecting to folks driving vehicles that emit quite a bit more CO2 than the their owners typical transportation needs can justify. In that case there's no logical reason why they should exclude sports cars. Or heavy-ass Volvo X-Countries, luxury sedans, etc.

This is an ideological crusade masquerading as concern for the environment.

Skisports said:

trask said:

It's none of your fucking business what I drive. You tag my vehicle and I catch you, you fucking die. I'm out in 5. Go ahead, make my day.

I think trask has little man syndrome

I know Trask, I've met him. He doesn't.

I think the point of the Climate stickers is to point out the absurd image most of these folks are trying to promote. Huge, outdoorsy, yet giant gas guzzlers. JayB has a point about other vehicles, but they pale in comparison to the yupster mobiles like the number of Yukons, Excursions and the like you see around. Sorry but I don't get the point of driving around in these things. Sticker on I say. These folks should be embarassed.

Luna said:

I think the point of the Climate stickers is to point out the absurd image most of these folks are trying to promote. Huge, outdoorsy, yet giant gas guzzlers. JayB has a point about other vehicles, but they pale in comparison to the yupster mobiles like the number of Yukons, Excursions and the like you see around. Sorry but I don't get the point of driving around in these things. Sticker on I say. These folks should be embarrassed.

Hey fool, guess what, we're not embarrassed. In fact it's fun to tailgate and intimidate little whinny shits that bitch about the big rigs. I make it a point to buy big, and buy American. If it gets over 8 miles to the gallon, it ain't for me. And watch who yur callin a yuppie or me, bubba, cooter and boo will hunt ya down and gut ya like a fish. Move over!!!

environmental or road hazards aside, when you buy that huge ass land yacht to improve your image -- and that's the reason, bottom line -- just know that many people are pointing and laughing at you as you drive down the freeway, and as you try to park the beast. no one considers you a badass or rugged outdoorsman. all they see is a misguided fool, probably with a large car loan. enjoy.