Cheep Glucosamine

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should do a little research first. Many mail order places are selling glucosamine that don't meet dosage standards. So if they say it's 1500 mg, it tests out at say 1,000. Center for Science in the Public Interest had a good article last year and had a list of recommendations. I don't have the web site but it's easy to find. One brand they did list was Purtian's Pride. http://www.puritan.com

You can get a 120 day supply for $24. Better prices in larger sizes. Avoid the Chondrotin - it has not been proven effective as has glucosamine.

freeclimb9 said:

Jim said:

Avoid the Chondrotin - it has not been proven effective as has glucosamine.

Absorption is the problem. The chondroitin is large, and doesn't pass through the gut lining as well as the much smaller glucosamine.

My wife just got some information from her doc at the UW womens health section about glucosamine chondroitin. It is now believed that the chondroitin actually raises ones colesterol. If this is tests out true it will change the market for glucosamine a whole bunch.

I have as low a colesterol diet as one could get and I still run higher than I wish. I have been taking the Glucosamine Chondroitin combo for about 15 years, so upon hearing this I went out and bought the glucosamine only bottle.

By the way, I did an experiment a few years back to see if all this was bullshit about taking these pills for my knees. We were on our annual winter trip to J-tree and i decided to quit taking the glucosamine chondroitin mix. After 7 days in J-tree hiking about and climbing my knees hurt with every step. So started taking the pills again and in about a week or so I started to fell better.

Just an interesting aside about high cholesterol; it definitely is hereditary, AND can also be increased from stress; I had cholesterol levels of about 140 pre-grad school, not really high stress, then when nothing in the diet had changed but my stress had gone through the roof with grad school, it was in the dangerous zone; once I completed grad school it returned to normal. Maybe someone would say grad school increases cholesterol levels?? blush.gif Consider stress levels too!