Custom Insoles For Mountain Boots?

CM3

I just bought a pair of Nepal Top Extremes for $257 on ebay and I want to get some custom insoles for them. Does anybody know who and where (Ski or mountain shop) to get some this service from Bellingham to Seattle? Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Gucci ice climbing bud swears to get custom insoles for ice climbing boots. He read a column by Craig Luben years ago and keeps hounding me make the jump. Has anyone does this and seen better performance on the ice?

In what way? warmth? or just ice climbing performance? I dunno buy the latter. Boots are clunky enough that I don't think a tiny little difference in insole is going to make a difference while front-pointing on crampons, esp. considering that places a very uneven stress on the bottom of the boot that is not a lot like walking.

Friggin amazing....just came from my local sports store shopping for custom insoles for my new tele boots. I was going to start this thread and voila, here it is at the top!

Local store pushed Superfeet hard. But they want $29.00 plus tax. Isn't that a lot for a stupid foot bed? What else is good. Seems to be some Dr. Scholl stuff for around $13.00. Someone mentioned Montrail makes a good one for around $20, but I'm not sure where to get those. Call me stupid, but if something is the "shit", is that good or bad???

What do you like, why, how much, where do you buy????

I too have been searching and found the cheapest but high quality one made by the "walking company" you can get a 5 pack on ebay for $20.00 they are super high quality and made of cork. I bought "down unders" for 29.00 and hate them these are much better...superfeet hurt my feet and I hate them. these walking ones are the best bang for the buck and they sell EMS ones too that are not bad also.

FFU2.jpg

FFU1.jpg

here is a link to them insoles check them out for the price you can't beat them. I bought 6 pairs for all my shoes and have been very happy with them

I bought some cork, heat moldable insoles at Northern Lights Trading in Bozeman, MT. They are fantastic. I've used them for about 3 years now and they are finally falling apart. I use them in all my shoes, running, hiking, climbing boots -- same pair.

I don't remember off-hand who made them but they were $80. I used to wear orthodics but these work just as well and are about 1/5 the price.

David_Parker said:

Friggin amazing....just came from my local sports store shopping for custom insoles for my new tele boots. I was going to start this thread and voila, here it is at the top!

Local store pushed Superfeet hard. But they want $29.00 plus tax. Isn't that a lot for a stupid foot bed? What else is good. Seems to be some Dr. Scholl stuff for around $13.00. Someone mentioned Montrail makes a good one for around $20, but I'm not sure where to get those. Call me stupid, but if something is the "shit", is that good or bad???

What do you like, why, how much, where do you buy????

Superfeet good b/c they support your arch. They're made of plastic covered by foam. Most footbeds made of just foam or cork will compress after an unsubstantial amount of use. The plastic base of the superfeet, on the other hand, lasts a hell of a long time. I've got some that are maybe 4 years old and are trashed to hell but still work.

• 2 weeks later...

The "write-up" for the EMS is EXACTLY the same as for the Walking Co. but they don't look the same. What's up with that???

well I got one pair of ems ones in the past they have a different color and they are foam/plastic not cork and the surface matarial is different. I like the cork ones much better. I just bought a five pack for all my shoes for less than the cost of one pair super feet. the ems ones are kinda like the insole that comes with a pair of Kayland boots which is much better than most.....another good brand is SOF...when I was in the marines they issued us them and they are great for comfort but are kinda almost too cushy unless you are marching for days. I still have my origanal pair after 8 years of use (4 years active duty-4 years reserves)and if I get called back I will use them again-or the cork ones as they seem to work better with wetness

snoboy said:

Try SOLE, they seem to be OK, and cheaper than most moldables...

I use the SOLE orthotics for my street shoes up thru my plastics. They've made a huge difference in how my knees feel when I'm done with a run or a big slog. $40...the folks at the running shoe store under/near the Century Ballroom sell them and have loads of experience custom fitting them.