Tieton 8-pitch

cman

i was over at vantage this weekend and talked to jim yoder. in addition to saying he is coming out with a new guide book for the tieton, sometime this summer, he told us there were some 8 pitch climbs. he also mention a web site, something like cascadeimages.com where you could find some topos of the climb. i could not find it, anyone want to help me out?

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cman your lucky to have gotten away from JY without him pulling some sleazball move on you. Next time you see him wear protective clothing and keep your hand on your wallet.

The only reason JY discovered and developed Fossile Rock is the Pony Ranch on the way to the crag. hahaha.gif

Eric you're young so I will forgive you. The longer you climb the more disfunctional people you will meet, and the more disfunctional you will become.

The guy I went to Asia with took everyone on the trip for a ride, but I won't go into details cause things didn't go well for him in the 90's. frown.gif

The 800 ft. south face of Goose Egg Mountain is in the upper Tieton valley. The rock is andesite, but it is distinctly different than the columns found on the lower Tieton. Maxwell and Kershaw first climbed a class 4 route to the top in 1955. Since then development has been slow and limited to a few 1 to 3 pitch aid and bolted free climbs on the lower slabs. Stoney Richards and I discovered the face a few years ago and have since completed five base-to-summit routes up to seven pitches. There are also several more projects in the making. All of the climbs will be included in the new Tieton guide book by Jim Yoder and Marlene Ford.

Please visit my website www.cascadeimages.com for more details and for general Tieton information. This will also be a place to check for route updates, current conditions, and access issues. Please direct any inquiries to beta@cascadeimages.com .

This is a relatively new climbing area and so far has had very low human impact. Please try and use existing climber's trails and keep a low profile. There are several other user groups that frequent the area, including hunters. Respect the locals! Also be wary of climber's above you, the mountain has serious rockfall potential.

01174.JPG

The south face of Goose Egg Mountain.

Unfortunately

>>www.cascadeimages.com<< &

>>a new guide book for the tieton<<

are incompatible w/

>>has had very low human impact. . . keep a low profile.<<

I would especialy like to see highly visable (climbers) adopt the Positive Impact ethic whereby you try to leave the area better than when you found it.

Be extra carfule when pissing and shiting - or you will end up w/ a climb smelling like a urinal like the Jesus Saves/Feathers area at Vantage.

Pick up all garbage you see. Think of it as adding to the karma bank for when that candy wraper blows off or when you drop some Aluminum.

Respect the vegetation - it has a hard enough time competing w/ the exotic (non-native) vegetation you and your dog bring in on your socks/fur.

Use earth tone hangers and webbing - or expect a fixed anchor ban to come to a crag near you.

With respect to not trashin' the place out: Amen, Brother.

This area is in my backyard. I've been eyeballing it for routes for about 5 years now, ever since going in to Strobach for ice climbing in 1998. But could never get anyone to come with me to get on GE mountain. Now I see that the pickin's are getting picked. I'll be out there this spring...

Nice job on the photos and thanks for sharing the beta, joe! thumbs_up.gif

...sobo

Dru said:

is that the same Goose Egg Mountain that the Dirtbag Guide to The Tieton says is "real loose and dirty and not safe orrecommended" [not sic]

The same! It really doesn't look all that dirty or loose for the first 3 pitches. After that, I tend to agree. I was figuring all these years that it would have to be aided above about 400 feet or so off the deck. Apparently, I was wrong...

...sobo