JTree suggestions

Jim

Off for a long weekend to JTree. I've climbed here a few times but really don't know it well and have mostly climbed in Hidden Valley and at Echo Rock. Seems the ratings are stiff down there so I feel comfortable up to 5.9 lead but can claw my way up a 10.c as second. Going to meet a friend on Friday afternoon who has never been there but can lead to 11a.

So - suggestions on leads up to 10 say? Any good multipitch routes?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imaginary Voyage in Lost Horse - one short section of 10d laybacking, but the most intimidating part, the roof, is actually pretty chill.

Second on the illusion Dweller thumbs_up.gif

You'll dig the classic 5.9's Pope's Crack and Touch and Go in Echo Rock if haven't done them already.

And Heart and Soul in echo is killer 10a!

Off White, have you ever done Vampire at Taquitz??

If you're looking at 10's, Rubicon at 10c is wonderful. I'd say it was relentless, but then Glassgowkiss would get after me. Run For Your Life in the Real Hidden Valley is a great face climb.

Ed, I haven't done the Vampire, but if I had to pick one route at Tahquitz & Suicide I'd like to do, that would be it. Last time I was there was 23 years ago, and I found the prospect a little intimidating.

Grit Roof although i heard the flake broke off and its harder

journey under Gateway Rock with full moon, Chongo and fungus mushsmile.gif

Colorado Crack

Popes Crack

Room to Shroom is super easy 5.9 more like Squamish or Washington 5.7

Aiguille de J Tree

Hobbit Hole Offwidth V0+/V1 (5.10+)

Bachar Cracker of the Desert V3 (i cant pull the lip)

Touch and Go 5.9

Stick to What 5.9 slab

Moosedog Tower 3p 5.9

Comic Book, Exorcist, Illusion Dweller, and Sail Away.

The best climb ever is a 5.6 called swiss cheese...seriously. In fact, the area that swiss cheese is in has tons of great shorter climbs. You can blitz the area.

BTW, zero or one stars means awesome climbing w/ a Squamish rating. 3 stars is ultrasandbagged and rough. 4 stars is kinda sandbagged w/awesome climbing. 2 stars=choss. 5 stars=solid rating, awesome climbing. confused.gif

There's a super fun route on I think intersection rock. You turn a roof up high and traverse a little to the right; it's like 5.7. Anyone remember the name?

On the same rock just to the right is a 5.8 or 5.9 that's really cool too.

How's that for good beta? hahaha.gif

Dog Leg is really fun, 5.7(?). And there's another fun 5.moderate in the area, just left or right of Dog Leg.

Jim said:

So - suggestions on leads up to 10 say? Any good multipitch routes?

I have a friend who has been living there for the past two months. That can happen when you don't have a job...She is down in Hidden valley, her name is Michele Beaty. You can't miss her. Long blond hair and quite good looking! Totally a wonderful person! She would be more that happy to help you guys out. Have fun! I'm hoping to get down there next month for a week! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks to those who provided suggestions. My fingers are ripped, I'm a bit achey, and I tweaked a muscle in my shoulder, but it was fun. I don't know the area well so it was good to have suggestions.

Rubicon - arhhhh

Touch and Go - ok

overhang bypass - spooky

heart and sole - liked this

pope's crack - need to jam better, didn't finish lead.

double cross - this is 7+?

Aiguille de J Tree - couldn't find it!!!!