Alpinist #2

jon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$13 is a lot of cash for a mag, but I think that this one is definetely worth it. It's definitely *the* nicest climbing mag out there these days, very elegantly put together. $13 also buys you virtually 0 ads (except for couple of first and last pages, which are very tastefully done) and very high quality color printing on heavy paper.

I've read the first three and the one thing that I don't understand about this last one is what the hell a story about Yosemite is doing in there? This is supposed to be an alpine climbing mag, as written in their mission statement (Christian Beckwith writes... "He spoke of an empahisis on alpine-style and single-push ascents, climbs that strip away as much of what is not alpinism as possible, leaving only the cleanest interactions with the mountains, the most intimate experiences"), and there isn't supposed to be anything in there on bouldering, sport climbing, or cragging in the valley. I'm by no means disqualifying what Cedar Wright did on the Sentinel. It truely was an amazing climb. That kind of story belongs in Climbing, not Alpinist. I'd rather see the space filled with more stories on alipne climbs from around the world. There can't be a shortage of them.

Not trying to nitpick, I'd just like to see this mag. live up to it's statement of being a real alpine journal.

Any thoughts?

That was my thought in the last one, the Chuck Pratt letter, the stupid story, and the info about Yosemite and desert tower climbing, and the recycled Kennan Harvey pix of offwidths, were not about Alpinism.

Id rather see a Tech Tip about games you can play while tentbound than more of that stuff. rolleyes.gif It should be in Climbing Mag or R&I.

This was a nice issue.

I liked the Eiger stuff alot, really nice full-page shots in there. The "historical climb" sounds hairball!!!

Rare shots of local climber and guide Geoff ("Radical") Radford on Gasherbrum w Tom Hargis. Geoff was one of the guys who went up Lib Ridge with me in April one year, where we cooked salmon steaks at Thumb Rock!

texplorer said:

I am looking for that "tent game" pigout. If any of you know where to buy it I would like to know. It consists of a small box containing two "pig dice".

The game is "Pass The Pigs" Here's a link to an online store that sells it.

http://www.thegamestore.com/cardgames/dice_games.html

Of course, mebbe you're just trolling, tough to tell sometimes... yellaf.gif