Gear Sorting TR

Necronomicon

Gear was organized, and placed into two large and two smaller plastic tubs. Respectively, they contain: climbing hardware, ropes, and personal gear, boots and clothing, food, and cooking equipment and assorted camping gear. Sleeping bags and bivy sack are stored seperately. Two packs are included, the smaller contains two ropes.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding maps, topo s/w print outs, and sundry other paper items, I have created an Excel file on my computer that lists those maps, etc. that I have. I update the list whenever I make or buy a new map. When I'm going to do a climb or want to look at a map for some reason, I check to see if I have it on my Excel file first. If I do, then I look for it in the drawer. It usually doesn't take me very long. I try to keep USGS maps and Greentrails maps and Topo! maps grouped together for easier locating. Whenever possible, I also try to keep the map titles near the front of the drawer so I can more easily read them. For maps I keep rolled up (printed side inward), I write on the non-printed side on the rubber-banded roll what map that is that I have rolled up. Saves me unrolling it.

Re maps: I built a thing of map drawers with some wood (frame), particle board (drawers/shelves) and long L-shaped plastic things (screwed in on the sides to support the sheets of particle board). Works pretty well, except it's a bitch to move 'cause it's big.

Maybe overkill, but I like maps, and I have a lot, so it made sense.

snoboy said:

jordop said:Curently, a large tuperware bin is used as a storeall, but then to look for a map one must empty out the ENTIRE bin and then repack it. Quite a stumbler confused.gif Any ideas yellowsleep.gif

And this is a problem how? confused.gif

I love looking at my maps. laugh.gif

So do I, but I have way too many and to search through all the remote crap to find Whistler is a pain. That and I was being moronic cantfocus.gif

Dru said:

gear was thrown on floor of gear room in messy pile. till next time.

gear was thrown on the bed in a messy pile. push it aside at bedtime (use rope as pillow). If getting night-time visitors, quickly shove it all in the closet (on top of the pile of clothes) and make the bed. Leave the rope on the bed, just in case.

Squid said:

gear was thrown on the bed in a messy pile. push it aside at bedtime (use rope as pillow).

according to my copy of the latest Climbing Gear Guide, Dr. Pushpill indicates that using ropes as a pillow is medically unsound, as head lice can migrate to the rope and cause unseen damage to the core. You better retire that rope immediately!! shocked.gifsmirk.gif

Necronomicon said:

Gear was organized, and placed into two large and two smaller plastic tubs. Respectively, they contain: climbing hardware, ropes, and personal gear, boots and clothing, food, and cooking equipment and assorted camping gear. Sleeping bags and bivy sack are stored seperately. Two packs are included, the smaller contains two ropes.

necro, you seem to be pushing the envelops of reality this winter. has 'dog' blessed you with such alpine wit and demour.....that no project goes unpunushed, nor will any moutain lash back towards your rabid ascents to glory!

cheers! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I used to be anal, and after every climbing day, sort my rack, and put everything away neatly. Now I just have a couple of big rubbermaid boxes that I throw everything in. Makes packing for a trip easy, just grab the boxes, everything is in them. As far as maps, I usually end up buying new maps just about every year. Haven't found anything that works for me, but creating a map drawer somewhere probably would not be a bad thing to do.

erik said:

Necronomicon said:

necro, you seem to be pushing the envelops of reality this winter. has 'dog' blessed you with such alpine wit and demour.....that no project goes unpunushed, nor will any moutain lash back towards your rabid ascents to glory!

cheers! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

You have no clue. Since September:

Colfax Peak: no ice

Rideout: climbed part of -5 gully, route missing ice pitch

Colfax Peak: no ice

The Sorcerer: high winds dumping spindrift down route

Canadian Rockies: partner gets sick on day three, home we go

Lady Killer: actually climbed 2p WI3

Peak 1953(B.C.): ugly, too warm

Colonial Peak: ugly, not hardman

Rideout: high avi

Big Four: dumping snow

Squamish: gee gosh, climbed four pitches!!!

Grueling approaches included where applicable.