Painful Viewing

ScottP

ScottP said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

DMAN IT

I should have read the whole thred before I hit play mad.giffrown.gifcry.gif

next time can we rate things... like "hey sk you want to watch this" or perhaps "hey sk don't watch this"

I thought perhaps phrases like "Painful Viewing" and "Very Graphic" would have done the job.

Well in my little pea pod mind "grafic" doesn't realy mean watching someone almost die. blush.gif my bad I guess frown.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Necronomicon said:

Muy graphico!!

But your point is lost, in that these people were being hoisted into a helicopter, rather than climbing. The climbing related injury was probably a bit less severe than the helicopter hoist related injury.

Gravity is gravity.

It’s a sad fact ladies and gentlemen, grim as it may be, this is the ultimate reality of what we elect to do. Knowing full and well that we all take risks we need to be ready to face the possibility that one day we may be forced to confront this reality. What will you do when somebody else’s shit goes down hard, will you be mortified? Or will you detach yourself from your visceral response and respond in a cool and calculated manner. As a high angle rescue trainer / rope rescue technician and first responder, when I am in the back country I am constantly on the lookout for Gumby’s. Fingers crossed in the hopes that my trip isn’t soiled by someone else’s misfortune. Be safe y’all.

Necronomicon said:

Muy graphico!!

But your point is lost, in that these people were being hoisted into a helicopter, rather than climbing. The climbing related injury was probably a bit less severe than the helicopter hoist related injury.

Necro, I think your point is lost because it seems these guys were working on a PRACTICE rescue! Well maybe your point is valid actually, since the "climbing injury" wasn't that severe... boxing_smiley.gif

Lambone said:

rolleyes.gif

as if a gumby is anymore likely to take the big plunge than you are....get over yourself.

My point was simply to emphasize that with my experience you grow accustom to the sight of such an incident. Judging by the reactions posted herein I got the impression that people got freaked out. Look at it objectively. Learn from the example. I was not boasting. The gumby comment is self evident, and get over yourself.

Touchy little gumby, aren’t you.

Fairweather said:

I've seen this video before in its entirety. The portion shown here is only about one-fourth of the total fall. It gets worse.

We're all so sure it "won't happen to me". But it does...and it might. I think of this video occasionally when climbing. It enhances my vigilance.

The point I was driving at. Thank you.

dirtwigle,

I see no corelation to your two "points." But that aside, your first post reads as if with all your training and expertise you are some sort of invincible hero waiting to rescue the poor gumby who is misfortunate enough to "soil" your trip. I don't know you, and I will not pass judgements opon you, only what you have written. As far as the gumby comment, should we meet in the mountains someday, I'll let you decide...

And if you do decide that I am one of your gumbies, or should I say sheep, I will rest easy knowing that you are "constantly on the lookout" watching over me....

yellaf.gifrolleyes.gifyelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

Come on we all know that your just die'in to pull some cowboy cable-helo extraction manuver, you ain't foolin no one. bigdrink.giffruit.gif

I know my helmet kept my black and blue and cut nose (courtesy of falling ice) of a week ago from being a whole lot worse. They aren't the greatest fashion statement, but I wont be found climbing without them. It's amazing what a small piece of rock or ice can do when whizzing down at high speed. cry.gif