nearest waterfall ice to pdx <= WI IV

iceslut

finally found a crew in pdx to climb ice with and now i am wondering where the closest positive waterfall ice is. moved here from missoula, montucky where i climbed in the mission and bitterroot mountain ranges. i will browse some books i have borrowed, but any local opinions would be most appreciated....some tr would be good, 'cause a few of the folks i will be climbing with are newbies...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When do you plan on going? Do you want to climb this week, or just in general?

While everyone here is telling you "lillooet" "banff" or "hyalite", the closest water ice is in Washington State, in general. This is not a normal year, however, so it is not reliable like ice further north and inland, but that just means you will have to work hard for it. Still, I climbed 5 pitches of water ice here in Washington last Saturday.

An ice climbing guide to Washington State is being published in September 2003. Though we don't guarantee a long or perfect season, we do guarantee a drive shorter than 10-15 hours from PDX.

Cheers, Alex

the climbing changes from season to season unfortunately, since it is formed largely from thaw-freeze cycles. you can usually find moderate to spectacular ice in blodgett canyon near hamilton though. if you go deep into some of the canyons between missoula and darby you will probably find good ice each year, but i have to say i honestly never did anything in the bitterroots requiring an overnight stay. wink.gif

Consistent ice at Mission Falls and Finley Creek just north of Missoula in the Missions. Bitterroot ice very inconsistent. Worth going ito Finley or Mission its pretty underrated and pretty good. I can give you detailed beta if you need.

(see attached photo, which is of Whispering Ice area of Mission Falls in a thin year)

141968-ShrunkIce.JPG.d3af468e9968dc965b1af78603a13738.JPG

specialed said:

About two cups of coffee + one bowl on the way there.

About three beers + two bowls on the way home. Maybe two beers if they're tall-dogs

(Factor in two bowls + three ginseng pills approach hike)

i know exactly where that is at!!! thanks for the diros dood!

mushsmile.gif