freeclimb9

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru....

I think that's his whole point...he's ticked a bunch of .13's and onsights .12's sport climbing, done a decent amount of stuff traditionally and considers himself weak...so he doesn't spray. He figures everyone else oughta adopt the same philosophy.

For what its worth, the guy's gone through hell just to get to the states and did truly live a climbing bum lifestyle in the early nineties...

RuMR said:

Dru....

I think that's his whole point...he's ticked a bunch of .13's and onsights .12's sport climbing, done a decent amount of stuff traditionally and considers himself weak...so he doesn't spray. He figures everyone else oughta adopt the same philosophy.

For what its worth, the guy's gone through hell just to get to the states and did truly live a climbing bum lifestyle in the early nineties...

so, there's nothing special about him, he's just your average climber these days is what you're sayin. back in the 80's or early 90's a resume like that might have made you hot shit but this is 2003. cool.gif

ive never heard him say he is a bad ass but i have seen him say everyone in the pnw is a bunch of sucky losers cause we aren't euros. waaaaaah cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif. stevie haston said it funnier years ago. of course haston said the euros are suck too. in fact everyone is suck but haston. bubu used to be good but then he downrated one of haston's routes which automatically made him suck!! rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

im not good enough to take it personal. i just climb for fun!

that said, there are a lot of "better than Bob" climbers out there, some of whom I know and others whom I only know OF, who dont feel the need to talk about how suck all climbers are but them. smirk.gif

I agree with RuMR on this. Polish Bob has never to my knowledge talked Twightish. There are a lot of climbers out there who are bad-ass in my book, yet you've never heard about them b/c they don't say shit. For example, there's a guy down here in Eugene named Kimball, but you'd never know he can climb 5.14 and you've never seen him or heard about him unless you spend time at Smith, Mt. Charleston, or Rifle. Also, two years ago, some bad ass ice climbers were doing some mixed routes in CO, and a guy walked up with really used looking gear and sporting a Star Trek t-shirt. He walked right up to this sick climb and proceeded to boulder out a V-5 with gloves and crampons over a thin ice covering a freezing cold stream and then sent the hard M8 problem when the others couldn't do it. There are a lot of these folks. They just don't send their info in to quick flashes. I guess you can talk a big game and not perform which is what PB is getting at. I've even found myslef guilty of this from time to time. Wishing and wanting to be able to do something and actually doing it are two different things. I do disagree with him on what people out there are doing. I think, because of this mentality of being humble, a lot that is going on is rarely heard about until it happens. Anyone done that hard 5.13 trad line on Monkey Face yet from the ground up or has it still not seen a first ascent without pre-paced gear? There's a proj. from someone. Not me as I was throwing myself at .11s last weekend, and left more frustrated than ever before. My two cents.

Didn't seem like Bob was dissing on PNW climber's abilities per se but more their motivation to go out and suffer and grovel in this area's less than perfect conditions. Besides who cares, Fuck the Euros. They just build trams into all the mountains, drill metal handbars everywhere and grid-bolt everything. Not to mention their disgusting use of neon and lycra and gratuitous self-promotion. And we could drink them under the table. Especially if Caveman is on our team

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

specialed said:

Didn't seem like Bob was dissing on PNW climber's abilities per se but more their motivation to go out and suffer and grovel in this area's less than perfect conditions. Besides who cares, Fuck the Euros. They just build trams into all the mountains, drill metal handbars everywhere and grid-bolt everything. Not to mention their disgusting use of neon and lycra and gratuitous self-promotion. And we could drink them under the table. Especially if Caveman is on our team

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

i dunno about that have you EVER seen Russian climbers drink OMFG they drink vodka like its pints of stout bigdrink.gifshocked.gif

i dunno about that have you EVER seen Russian climbers drink OMFG they drink vodka like its pints of stout bigdrink.gifshocked.gif

russians are hardcore. I agree with the point of euros being hard is bullshit. Approachs are a joke there. How hard would any of the pickets be if I could ride a fucking train right up next to them? Yeah...that's real suffering tongue.gif