its gone too far. . .

jordo

Met 5 Jacket W/Heat Kit

by The North Face:

"Technology you might find in a space suit comes to the backcountry. Built into the chest panels of this jacket is a network of hair-fine conductive filaments, which swathe you in generated heat. The heating element can keep pumping 105 F of warmth to you for five hours. . . " - From mgear.com

What the #@*% is this? Is it just me or is this akin to Messner calling bolts the rape of the impossible? Here we have the rape of the elements. I know this sounds a bit masochistic, but sometimes I enjoy shivering my ass off on an icefield! I've been accused by friends of thinking too much, especially about climbing, but it seems that the more gadgets we employ, the less of an authentic experience is encountered (just don't look in my closet!). Think of snowmobiles (I don't know how much of an issue this is in WA, but in SWBC [sweet white butt crack] its a big deal with backcountry skiers) and how pissed off and betrayed we feel at having spent five lung-burning hours to get to a place that has taken someone fifteen minutes on a machine to access. Is it the same thing? Of course the refinement of gear has allowed for an increase in what climbers accomplish, but isn't artificially heating your body's core a bit much?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's kind of a jack ass thing, and I can think of at least 17 things I'd blow 500 bucks on, but I think its just the evolution of heated socks and those hand warmer packs for your hands. You probably wouldn't even know some dude has it on unless he's spraying about it. My dos centavos.

I want heated grips for my ice tools.

[This message has been edited by EddieE (edited 10-18-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:

I think Messner said "murder" of the impossible.

But I agree with your sentiment, to a point.

Let the yuppies have their toys. Do you really think anyone will buy this AND actually use it? No.

Read Matt and Mattp's trip report on 3 fingers. I bet they would have fought over the jacket if they had one. tongue.gif

I'd by one for my lift served ski bunny if I had one... Grandma, too! she'd love it "OOhh, a heating pad I can wear!!! How much did it cost, sonny?"

"Get the stick, boy,and come over here for that whipping you deserve for spending money like that!"

Got to love old Grams.

Original quote by Jordo:

"Of course the refinement of gear has allowed for an increase in what climbers accomplish, but isn't artificially heating your body's core a bit much?"

What's the difference between this and wearing clothes? Clothes could be considered "artificial"; we weren't born with them. So by wearing them, we are "artificially" heating our body's core, are we not?

Naked mountaineering, without ANY equipment, would truly be the only pure way of climbing anything "naturally".

And that goes for "trad-climbing" ethicists. Anything less is surely cheating!

Next time I see pope and retrosaurus out climbing, I'll be there with my camera! For surely, as "pure" as they are, they wouldn't dare cheat with shoes and clothes and chalk and a rope and a belayer....

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

Dru. Do you drive to the crags or mountains? Your air-pollution doesn't wash off. Do you wear nylon-based garments? Oil is used, a non-renewable resource. Do you use wood products? Old-growth forests will really never be as they once were. All of these affect the air we all breathe. Do you eat cow? (Are you not proud?) The methane produced by cow-farming significantly increases atmospheric methane, which increases global warming, and meat production also increasing net-suffering on the planet.

The effect of bolts pales in comparison.

PS. A strong enough acid would wash those bolts right off....

OK Chocolate,

You're the one trolling so I'll take a bite:

1)"Your air pollution doesn't wash off"...actually it does, minus some CO2.

2)"Old growth forests will never be what they once were"....sure they will, if left alone for a few hundred years. (And by the way, a replanted clearcut actually absorbs more CO2 than an old growth forest)

3)"Do you eat cow (are you proud)"...yes, occasionally. It is delicious. As for the "suffering"...better the cows than my hungry children.

4)"blah, blah,blah....increases global warming".....Last year the Academy of American Scientists put forth a document stating that the Earth IS in fact warming. 6000 members signed a statement to the fact that humans are to blame. However, 15,000 signed a letter stating that NO conclusion can be reached at this time regarding any human causation. In other words...probably just a natural cycle. Global warming is a fact. Those who blame humans for it may have an agenda. (they think we're "living too well"??)

Some eskimo in the Yukon probably will call us all wussies for driving to the mountains in a heated car while his ass is walking in the coat he made from last week's kill.

What's the difference? Or using a stove. its artificial heat, if you want it, use it. but don't complain to the people who use it, you're not any cooler, just tougher.