• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
needtoclimb

Need a new camera

Looking for suggestions for a new camera for alpine/mountain climbs.   My old one is taking crappy pictures now days (probably too many times being dropped), and I tried my phone a few times but don't really like it.  While normal pictures on the phone are fine, I recently found out that most phones don't actually zoom.  They just crop and expand the picture, leaving you with a very blurry picture. 

Any suggestions for a fairly rugged, light-weight camera?

how much can you spend? if you can afford a Sony RX100, that is a pimpin camera, very small form factor.

2 hours ago, olyclimber said:

if you can afford a Sony RX100, that is a pimpin camera

Totally!  You could also go with the G7 or  G5 from Canon which are a bit cheaper.   The key with any decent digital camera is to shoot RAW, and and post process in something like Lightroom.  I personally prefer the Canon interface to Sony, but both will be far superior to a phone pic, esp. when zooming. 

Another recommendation for the RX100. I just got the Mark 6 and it is a sweet camera. In terms of photo quality it doesn't seem worse than my Canon T3i which is awesome considering that it fits in a pocket and doesn't require carrying multiple lenses. The viewfinder is awesome for shooting on snow.

Same - if I don't want to lug around the Nikkon DSLR I go to the RX100 after trying other options.  It also is able to shoot RAW images if you are into post-processing.

Panasonic Lumix LX100. Big (MFT) sensor, Leica F1.7 lens. Shoots RAW, has EVF (Sony RX100 does not have EVF, which makes it impossible to shoot in bright conditions). Has actual dials, which allow to shoot with your gloves on. ATM it's the best compact camera on the market. 

Also there is a thread on the lens, and you can use filters. 

Edited by glassgowkiss