Remake Songs That Suck/Rock

RobBob

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cowboy junkies seem to have that effect on women. that trinity sessions disc would have to go on the list of top five makeout albums ever...

oh, here's one I forgot - say what you will about Nirvana, but their cover of the Meat Puppets' "Lake of Fire" was amazing. Cobain at his tortured best.

rockband.gif

covers rock!

nirvana -molly's lips (the vibrators)

7 seconds -99 red balloons (nena)

nofx -champ elysees (traditional french song)

ramones -do you wanna dance/rockaway beach (50's stuff?)

vindictives -covered the entire album "leave home" (ramones)

pouges -south australia (???)

clash -i fought the law (???)

screeching weasel -danny is a wimp (the queers)

the queers -like a parasite (screeching weasel)

face to face -just like heaven (the cure)

most pathetic remake -ben weasel singing "linger", by the fuckin' cranberries...

Omigod, ChrisT Pearl Jam over Nirvana???!!!! What are you thinking? Nirvana will go down in history as the Beatles of the Northwest (just played "About a Girl" on the jukebox last night).

Roger, right on with the Dino Jr. cover.

Here's one I still really love:

The Breeders doing "Happiness is a warm gun"

also

Death Cab for Cutie covered Bjork's "All is Full of Love"

Cat Power "I can't get no Satisfaction"

Okay, trask, I know that you're an SRV fan, so here's a story for you:

The year is 1983. My buds and I leave Austin TX bound for ski country CO in a Datsun B210 that we conned a classmate to rent (we did not have a credit card of our own). The bong is passed 'round as we break the city limits. Commander Rob is at the helm, so all is well. The first miles slip by, and for what seems an eternity, we race past the exits for Wacko Waco. Suddenly on the radio, we hear fresh guitar licks that are unmistakably Stevie Ray's;...but what's this? It's David Bowie, singing "Let's Dance," while SRV wails on his old Telecaster in the background. We make a solemn oath to buy the album as soon as we return to Austin...

Finally, famished, I announce that I've gotta eat, and we exit the interstate for a munch break. We queue up at McDougal's for burgers, and I say to my buddies Goddamn that Waco lasted forever and who the fuck would ever want to live there...and one of them says kinda sheepishly to me "Well, Rob, maybe one of these fine people would..." I look up and see this old guy glaring at me with his Stetson and cateye glasses on, and it dawns on me that we are still in Waco...

Rob

Even though I can't stand Marilyn Manson, I would say the remake of "Tainted Love" was fairly good and it's definitely totally different than the original. Okay, gonna get way obscure on y'all here. The Cox Family, a bluegrass/old timey country outfit from Louisiana did a beautiful version of "Blue Bayou," which Linda Ronstadt did a nice version of in the 70's, and I believe it was originally done by Roy Orbison who knows when. All 3 versions are distinctive.

Seriously whether or not you like a remake has everything to do w/ your personal taste and whether you like the style of the original or the cover better. When I was a head-bangin' teenager I liked Judas Priest's cover of Johnny B. Good, now that I'm older I think the world could've done w/out that just fine. And the problem w/ remakes is there's so many of them half the time you don't even know you're listening to a cover because you're not familiar w/ the original.

"Easy", Faith No More (Lionel Ritchie)

"Hey Jude", Wilson Pickett, who has about a billion times more soul than Paul McCartney

"Take Me Home, Country Roads", some punk/ska band (John Denver)

"Hallelujah", Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)

the song from Cool Hand Luke ("Plastic Jesus"?) covered by The Flaming Lips

numerous surf rock classics covered by the early incarnation of Man or Astro-man?

I've heard Tori Amos' covers are quite good, and that she played only covers during her entire residency at a club in NYC.

I liked Jane's Addiction's "Sympathy for the Devil", but the original is still badass, especially the bassline.