lightest bivy sack

Billy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you're willing to settle for. There are some super light ones out there, but how long will they last and how much protection will they really give you?

I bought the standard OR model. It gives great protection and weighs 1lb and a few ounces. It's not the best, but I find it's pretty much bombproof and very light at the same time. It's a good compromise in my opinion.

Serratus makes a superlightweight job, marketed as a VBL, but made out of semibreathable nylon. MEC had only a couple and I picked up the last LONG size. Not on the mec or Serratus sites, but keep an eye out for it if you want a cool emerg bivy. $60 CDN kinda steep though.

Depends what you consider a VBL. Twight calls a microfibre windshirt worn over polypro a VBL layer as it inhibits some moisture but not all. Having once tried to bivy in a coated VBL once in Idaho and waking up in a peculiar cold sauna, I think that a semipermeable nylon job would be a good compromise.

Depends what you consider a VBL. Twight calls a microfibre windshirt worn over polypro a VBL layer as it inhibits some moisture but not all.

Well, Twight says fun isn't necessarily fun. A vapor barrier liner should be a liner that is a barrier to vapor. Barrier as in impermeable. The point of the barrier is to keep the outer insulation dry from sweat.

Polypro? Yuck. laugh.gif

Wool Rocks! fruit.gif

from warmlite.com:

"Gore defined “breathable” as passing water vapor about 1/20th as fast as uncoated fabric, (the same as most urethane coatings)". The bivy bag I have works as a VBL, though not as bad as a polyethylene bag (i.e. Hefty-esque).

What do you want for your money?

BTW, with regard to "Barrier as in impermeable", a net is a barrier also.

barrier - n. a thing that prevents passage or approach. (Webster's New World Dictionary). So a vapor barrier prevents passage of vapor. Like the garbage bag (hefty-esque).

I understand the concepts. I'm personally a big fan of windshirts over baselayers for travel in most conditions. But the windshirt isn't a barrier to vapor transport. It does slow down transport, but it is not a barrier.

The Outdoor Research Wintersack is made of Dryloft and weighs 13 oz.

The Integral Designs saxk is made of Pertex microfibre and weighs 11 oz.

The dryloft bag would be more weatherproof, but a microfibre bag breathes better.

The warmlite website is somewhat fanatical, but their sleeping bag models are worth a second look. grin.gif

• 1 month later...
jbclimber said:

rbw1966 said:

Bibler Winter Bivvy. At a scant 9 oz's its sure to be a hit. Compresses small enough to fit in a pocket. winter bivvy

Does anybody have the Bibler winter bivy? I am curious how you like it if you do have one.

I have one but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. I'll post a review after a trip next week.

• 3 weeks later...
rbw1966 said:

jbclimber said:

rbw1966 said:

Bibler Winter Bivvy. At a scant 9 oz's its sure to be a hit. Compresses small enough to fit in a pocket. winter bivvy

Does anybody have the Bibler winter bivy? I am curious how you like it if you do have one.

I have one but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. I'll post a review after a trip next week.

rbw,

Did you get out and use the bibler, and if so how did you like it?

For anybody who hasn't seen the MEC lightweight Bivy, it's pretty sweet.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=118583&FOLDER<>folder_id=590703&bmUID=1049349972721

As far as I can tell, integral designs makes it for them. It's basically a totally stripped ID bivy. It's made out of their nice waterproof/breathable fabric (same stuff as ID and bibler tents), but lacks zippers, bug netting, etc. at only 1 pound, I think it's a great comprimise between the glorified garbage bags and the full on bivies.