lightest bivy sack

Billy

why not just carry one of the new sub-one pound silicone coated shelter jobbies that can serve as much more than just a bivy sack? Some have zippers to make a much more adequate than the BD winter bivy emergency bivy that can sleep two, and also set up as a standing room tent in winter with a little bit of digging?

Having the lightest "bivy sack" isn't neccessarily the "best option"

versatility wise. and there's an ever growing selection of options available to you if you "think outside the box" in shelter selections.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beck said:

why not just carry one of the new sub-one pound silicone coated shelter jobbies that can serve as much more than just a bivy sack? Some have zippers to make a much more adequate than the BD winter bivy emergency bivy that can sleep two, and also set up as a standing room tent in winter with a little bit of digging?

Having the lightest "bivy sack" isn't neccessarily the "best option"

versatility wise. and there's an ever growing selection of options available to you if you "think outside the box" in shelter selections.

Along those lines - has anyone ever used the Dana Design HatTarp?

http://www.danadesign.com/tents/single_wall/hat.htm

Here is some info that could be helpful.

http://gorp.com/gorp/gear/features/bivy_test11.htm

I have used three of these. The REI Cyclops sucked. The seam tape came off the coated nylon floor. It all came off at once and I got SOAKED! REI did give me my money back though. I barrowed a North Face for a while. Worked well enough but I never got into any real weather. Damn spendy though. I ended up buying the Wild Things bag. Simple design and works well. The tye in loop has to be generously seam sealed. If you are exposed in bad weather it is better if you use the sack upside down so the zipper is on the bottom not the top. I spent three days in the rain with it (no tent or tarp) and my down bag was still fairly dry.

Eastsider said:

rbw1966 said:

jbclimber said:

rbw1966 said:

Bibler Winter Bivvy. At a scant 9 oz's its sure to be a hit. Compresses small enough to fit in a pocket. winter bivvy

Does anybody have the Bibler winter bivy? I am curious how you like it if you do have one.

I have one but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. I'll post a review after a trip next week.

rbw,

Did you get out and use the bibler, and if so how did you like it?

Sadly the weather has not been cooperating much so I've actually only tested this thing in my back yard. I stayed dry in it and its super lightweight. Didn't notice any condensation problems but I am a little concerned about durability. I may try it again this weekend.

I am an ultralight backpacker, and the only bivy sack I have used so far is made by Adventure Medical Kits--it is called the Thermo-Lite Emergency Bivy, I think and weighs 7 ounces not including the stuff sack. It is water and wind-proof, but more importantly, costs around $20 US. It is not a space-blanket bivy, but does have similar thermal reflective properties in a stronger material. It also comes in a two person bivy and in a blanket. Check campmor.com for prices, etc.