Beacon Rock Access

rbw1966

Beacon Rock is closed to climbing to protect raptor nesting as of February 1st until July 15th.

Due to a mindwarp, I thought it was open until February 14th so talked TG into suffering through a wet ascent of the SE corner which would have been capped off with some easy aid.

Well, we found out its closed as of February 1st.

The Ranger was very informative and helpful but we were cited for trespassing.

Please make sure to confirm open access before climbing in protected areas. As if climbing at Beacon in the rain was not proof enough of my stupidity, I feel even dumber for potentially disturbing the birds and risking access.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, two tickets for $250.00 each...Trespassing 2. Let's see; we climbed 1 1/4 pitches (of wet slimy rock), thats about 400 bucks a pitch.

Harsh penality, but after talking to the ranger and hearing about some of the truly heinious things that some climbers have done off season at Beacon I understood their zero tolerance policy. Apparently, some climbers were caught destroying a nest to end the raptor issue and it became a sport to climb, taunt the wildlife protection law and not get caught.

Rob & I were one day off, as it turns out. We fucked up and let our desire to climb, rain or shine, closure or no closure, passed the signs and climbed anyway. The ranger was polite, friendly and very professional. He encouraged open comunication between him & the climbing community. I will provide his E-mail address later. He did not confiscate our gear, which he said is typical and said that it is likely that we will be able to get the charge substantially reduced in court.

The ticket's a bummer; but we should have turned around. It is a shame that the acts of others have forced this situation but I, for one, support wild life protection.

No, Jens, its not a typo. He was just doing his job. They have a "zero tolerance" policy at Beacon and he had to issue us a ticket. He could have confiscated our gear but at his discretion opted not to. He was extremely courteous and professional. I've had my share of bad experiences with cops and rangers but in this particular instance I felt he was a nice guy just doing his job. Truth is, we broke the law and we paid. No reason to get mad at him. I support wildlife preservation and in this case we just fucked up.

Glad everybody was cool and you guys got to keep your gear!

It's too bad that the situation has been abused and a zero-tolerance policy has developed. I would like to think that taking full responsibility for your actions and being civil left the ranger with the perception that not all climbers are evil, selfish, and destructive.

And may your good karma significantly reduce your fines!

We fucked up and let our desire to climb, rain or shine, closure or no closure, passed the signs and climbed anyway. The ranger was polite, friendly and very professional. He encouraged open comunication between him & the climbing community....

It's so refreshing to hear this admission.

Thanks.

i used to think closing the rock just to protect a bunch of stupid birds was dumb...but then just a few days ago i realized how much i like seeing the hawks and other raptors hunting along the interstate, hanging out on signposts, etc. and decided it's worth a few sacrifices...sorry about the ticket, hopefully you can slide out of it...if i'd been busted hopping the fence a month ago they probably would have shot me, as i was with a maddened iranian at the time and was itching to piss somebody official off

i used to think closing the rock just to protect a bunch of stupid birds was dumb...but then just a few days ago i realized how much i like seeing the hawks and other raptors hunting along the interstate, hanging out on signposts, etc. and decided it's worth a few sacrifices...
how gracious of you

You know, in my brief lifetime, I've been shat on FOUR times! Know how many birds I've killed?! None! It's high time the score was evened. Thus, today I've made up my mind to purchase a dozen six packs of cola and throw the plastic things that bind the cans together into the ocean, thus killing some sea-gulls and other marine wildlife. Jihad! evils3d.gifthe_finger.gif