Report from San Francisco

allthumbs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Keep bombing them whenever they try and get too uppity

2. Keep up the embargo and hire hollywood directors to depict a bumbling and idiotic depiction of Saddam.

3. We need to get along with our friends. We are big and bad and our army kicks ass, but we still need to get along with other countries.

4. I feel sorry for the average Iraqi, but I don't think we can do much for them.

5. Saddam is a prick. I'm sure he wants and trys to get nasty stuff, and I bet he has some, but you need a real reason to start a war. (The Gulf War was OK by me)

6. See above. I'm OK with our war in Afganistan and WWI and WW2.

I, coming from a different end of the political spectrum from AlpineK, agree with what he says here. Well written, AK.

Greg W

"daddy-won't-pay"
sounds like she's already under political "indoctrination".

and "to be fair" I went to Macalester College, alma mater of that "whining liberal" Kofi Annan.

Iain,

Last time I checked, indoctrination/passing along your values political and otherwise, was a parental purview. Do you share at least some of the values instilled by your parents? Or were those values erased/displaced during your tenure at Macalaster College?

Fairweather -

You asked Iain. But I will say that I agree: you have a duty as a parent to try to instill proper values. You also have a duty to allow your daughter to grow up. Does she want to go to Evergreen or Berkeley, some other "liberal" institution? I'm sure you realize this, but if you try to prevent her from exploring the world of liberal politics you will only make it that much more attractive to her. I believe that when kids hit age 25 or 30, they generally tend to revert to their parents' world view even if they dallied in some other perspective. I'm not a parent nor am I any kind of expert in parenting, but my guess is that you're better off supporting her at this stage of the game. If you feel that Evergreen (or any other situation she may embrace) is truly dangerous, you have no choice but to intervene in her choices. But if not, let her grow up.

-Matt

I hope your daughter rebels and makes your life a living hell for the next 10 years, and then she gets settled down with a good life with solid liberal political views. evils3d.gif

I can only hope that you take a long leader fall onto a BD Bod harness that damages your already small testicles so badly you are unable to hurl your liberal spawn upon this great nation. laugh.giflaugh.gif

This over-the-top concept of college brainwashing is amusing. Of course I share values with my parents, and they had a firm grip on me when I was a kid. However, political clout through financial embargo was not one of those values, so perhaps I can't relate.

1. Keep bombing them whenever they try and get too uppity

2. Keep up the embargo and hire hollywood directors to depict a bumbling and idiotic depiction of Saddam.

3. We need to get along with our friends. We are big and bad and our army kicks ass, but we still need to get along with other countries.

4. I feel sorry for the average Iraqi, but I don't think we can do much for them.

5. Saddam is a prick. I'm sure he wants and trys to get nasty stuff, and I bet he has some, but you need a real reason to start a war. (The Gulf War was OK by me)

6. See above. I'm OK with our war in Afganistan and WWI and WW2.

I, coming from a different end of the political spectrum from AlpineK, agree with what he says here. Well written, AK.

Greg W

Shit, I for once agree with both AK and Greg at the same time cantfocus.gif. Like Greg said well written.

From the latest NY Times poll most Americans agree with this (is this still considered unpatiotic? I mean instigating a premtive stike, that can cast the mold for others to do so if they see fit in the future??)

TTT pitty.gif

This over-the-top concept of college brainwashing is amusing. Of course I share values with my parents, and they had a firm grip on me when I was a kid. However, political clout through financial embargo was not one of those values, so perhaps I can't relate.

Iain,

Don't you believe in "voting with your pocketbook"? Why would I pay for my son or daughter to attend a college that condones, or attempts to instill a doctrine with which I disagree?

I can tolerate, and even admire well thought out rebellion from my children! But not when it has been hammered into them by a left wing teacher/professor.

Like I said before, education...not indoctrination.

Fairweather -

Indeed, we share a great deal of common ground. That is why we are able to interact here, on this site. But go for the "East Face" and we'll see if you agree. If it doesn't work out, you'll come back cursing my god damned liberal campaign of misinformation, no? (Just kidding.)

-Matt

Here's what Frank Zappa had to say about of hippies, both old and new:

Turn turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

Turn, turnTurn, turn

We're turning again

They took a whole bunch of acid

So they could see where it's at

(It's over there, over there,

Over there, over there

And under here also)

Doont, da-doodem doodem!

They lived on a whole bunch of nothing

They thought they looked very good

They'd never ever worry

They were always in a hurry

To convince themselves that what they were

Was really very groovy

Yes, they believed in all the papers

And the magazines that defined their folklore

They could never laugh

At who or what they thought they were

Or even what they thought

They sorta oughta be

They were totally empty

(Totally empty)

And their lives were really useless

So what the f*%k?

They didn't have no sense of humor

(Oodly-oodly-yeah!)

Now they got nothing left

To laugh about

Including themselves

Turn, turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

Turn, turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

Bprr . . . bprr . . . the year 1967

Drug-crazed youth discovered vagrancy as a way of life

EWW-WW!

Dey were mellow

Dey were yellow

Dey were wearing smelly blankets

Dey looked like DONOVAN fans

(HU-UR-DE-EE

GU-UR-DE-EE)

Dey walkin' 'round

With stupid flowers

In dey hair an' evvywhere

Dey tried to stuff 'em up de guns

Of all the cops and other servants of the law

(LA LA-LA-LA LA-LA)

Who tried to push 'em around

And later moved 'em down

But they were full of all that shit

That they believed in

(PHEW!)

So what the f*%k?

(WHAT THE F*%K?)

Now I seen 'em tightenin' up dey headbands

On the weekend and dey get loaded

When dey came to town

Dey walk around in GREEMICH VILLAGE

To buy posters dey could hang up

In dem smelly little secret

Black light bedrooms

On LONN-ISLAND

Singin': "JIMI COME BACK!"

Now come back and regulate de boy's FURZ-tone

Yo' HAZE was so PURPLE

It caused your AXIS to be BOLD AS LOVE

(JIMI-JIMI-JIMI-JIMI-JIMI FEED BACK)

Now Jimi gimme some feedback

Come back and feed back on my knapsack

You can feed back the fuzz tone from your WAH-WAH

While you bend down

And set your stuff on FIRE

Turn, turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

Turn, turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

We can turn it around

We can do it again

We can go back in time

Through the canyons of your mind

On the EVE O' DESTRUCTION

We can act like we are something really special

WOOOH, we'll just jump in the bath-tub

With that other guy JIM

And make him be more careful

We can visit Big Mama

And whap her on the back

When she eats her sandwich

(LA LA LA LA)

We can take care of Janis

When she gets so depressed

She can't take it no more

We can laugh at Keith Moon's jokes

(HA HA HA HA HA)

And the colour TV

(HA HA)

He threw out de windum

Fum de second flew-ah!

(YEAAHHHHHH!)

Everybody come back

No one can do it like you used to

If you listen to the radio

And what they play today

You can tell right away:

All those assholes really need you!

Turn turn

Turn turn

We're turning again

Turn turn

Turn turn

We're turning again

Turn, turn,Turn, turn

We're turning again

Turn, turn, Turn, turn

We're turning again

_37938616_zappa150.jpg

coming in a little late here...but...I tried to get my son interested in Evergreen. I LOVE that place. But it's a little too rustic for him. He's more of the urban-Berkeley type which is ok...except UCB is BIG...over 40,000 students compared to the 3000 or so at Evergreen. ah well he still has a few years to decide. BTW I think Evergreen is a steal at 12K a year (includes room and board)

(As an aside he's currently attending Evergreen H.S. grin.gif)

Here's what Frank Zappa had to say about of hippies

so hippies would be stupid to have identified with the ideals of Donovan, Joplin and Hendrix but we'd be smart to heed Zappa's words? Is he some kind of bastion of thoughts in the western world or something? I did not think so.

You are going to make a grumpy old fart some day.

J_B-

I guess I never thought it was a rock star's duty to further the "youth" movement. Yes, Janice and Jimmi espoused support for the right (leftward) view of the world, but I always liked the "Frankness" of the darker side of things. Maybe I'm just a cynicial bastard.

If one agrees that Zappa would not have been too successful w/o the youth movement of the 60's and 70's, it seems only fair to think he'd be interested in furthering the spirit that made the youth of the time like him: the irreverence toward institutions, etc ...