Call for recipes

Squid

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, where do you get all these crazy pictures Dwayner?! Second, its good to see you venturing to the keyboard, Lurker Squid. Here's my tips for lightweight culinary masterpieces:

1) Stay away from that powdered milk stuff. Now matter how long you've been away from real food it still tastes like crap.

2) Bring tea, lots and lots of tea. It's lighter than other powedered drinks, tastes good, and one tea bag can make liter after liter of quality beverage.

3) Rice is good to carry for awhile, the fact that you can do so many things with it and it lasts forever offsets the weight slightly. Although no matter what you do with it, it gets old. But you know all about that, dontcha squid?

Really, don't forget the fresh veges if you're hauling sledge... you can get a lot of food/booze/cds and boombox into basecamp on a pulk, I think 250 pounds still glides nicely on traces...

but, for maximum calories/minimum effort, a block of ramen noodles, eaten dry with a big glob of butter smeared into it, is a fuel efficient way to get your expedition calories...

mmmm, butter on dry ramen noodles...

...its good to see you venturing to the keyboard, Lurker Squid...

3) Rice is good to carry for awhile, the fact that you can do so many things with it and it lasts forever offsets the weight slightly. Although no matter what you do with it, it gets old. But you know all about that, dontcha squid?

Yeah, I've decided to come out of the shadows and take my spray like a, er, bumbly.

and no teasing me about rice or I'll spill the beans about a certain 'crier.' hellno3d.gif

I guess I've had the ghetto fries many times Dru. Oh, and Nachoman, I like powdered milk. I don't even buy real milk know cause the powdered stuff lasts longer is cheaper, and . . well do you really taste milk in cereal anyway? And they say you don't learn anything on roadtrips. For all the rest of you don't know you know that HCL.gif and snaf.gif should be the mainstay of your diet. You might tote along some cheese in your pockets too.

No matter how carefully you plan, you will buy too much of at least one thing that noone on the trip can stomach. This is especially amusing when it is something that everyone needs regularly, i.e. you were feeling cheap and bought the Costco brand "energy bars". The only upside to this is that in later years, you can bring your friends from the trip into instant and guaranteed hysterics merely by looking them in the eyes and saying the magic words "double chocolate fudge"

Bottom line is that you will have some kind of base carbohydrate that will seem like glop after a while - rice, pasta, couscous, whatever, so the best solution is to bring lots of flavor-intense additives. My favorites are curry powder, parmesan cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, all with a high flavor-to-weight ratio.

Dwayner, I like the jewish culinary photos. It's about kosher-on-the-glacier, people, go back and re-read the original post.

After the "Clean Plate Club", this one's my favorite:

logo-s.gif

It's very easy to join. There shouldn't be a problem with the fish as long as they's gots fins and scales, and the guy behind the counter knows what he's doing, and the utensil's are clean, and the fish was bought just that day, and then kept on ice and.......never mind....fins and scales!

Hello capitalist! Is it time for morning meal in America?

My favorite is breakfast burrito with following ingredient;

.5 kg bacon

1 dozen egg

1 can refry bean(454 gram)

225 gram cheddar cheese

10 flour tortillas

Mix all together except tortilla and stir fry, then portion equal amout on 10 tortilla and roll like sushi.

Thank you allow me to post on communist website in America.

• 2 years later...

5 weeks of instant pudding.

I still have a quart of olive oil in my cupboard from that trip. I think I'd just read MFT at that point, and became convinced I could stave off the cold by simply drinking olive oil. I tried it with seriously bad results- I the shits for three days, and almost bagged the whole trip at that point.

what worked:

Breakfasts: powdered milk w/ oatmeal + one or more of the following (brown sugar/raisins/craisins/nuts)

Lunches:I forget. I do remember we all developed a strange fascination with the bottle of 'lemon-pepper salt' that someone had packed. We started taking straight hits of that stuff. I'm not sure if we were starved for salts, or just bored out of our minds.

Dinners:

Pick 1 item from column a & mix with column b

A B

Inst. Mashed Potatoes 6 different bulk soups

Inst. Rice

add butter

For dessert, instant pudding premixed with powdered milk was great.

'Possum and 'Taters

1 opossum, cut into serving pieces

Water to cover

2 teaspoons salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

4 baking size sweet potatoes, pared and quartered

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, chopped

Skin and dress opossum. Put in Dutch oven and cover with water. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until very tender. Place opossum pieces in center of large baking pan and arrange sweet potatoes around them. Sprinkle sugar and margarine over potatoes. Pour 2 cups of broth from cooked opossum over all. Place in preheated 375 degrees F oven and bake until potatoes are fork tender, slightly browned, and broth has evaporated. snaf.gif