Naked first ascent at The Far Side

billcoe

"The Left Cheek" saw a FA this weekend (after extensive cleaning and previous TR climbing last year) and was done in keeping with the tradition of all the routes on the Bare Buttress at The Far Side in that the leader was buck assed naked. No harness, shoes or chalk bag. Bowline on a coil tie in.

I don't have clearance for the naked pics yet. So here's 2 old masters: Jeff Thomas and Jim Opdycke. This route, Tribal Therapy, saw a record 7 people on it this weekend.

Jeff

Jeff_Thomas_leading_Tribal_Therapy_1.jpg

Jim

Jim_Opdycke_underneath_Tribal_Therapy.jpg

In keeping with the "Old People Climb?" theme, here's one of me belaying Adam on the FA of "The Left Cheek". My wife had told me in advance that no one likes seeing old tired wrinkly assed dudes, so I kept my clothes on. Our combined ages total 176 years, with @ 114 years climbing between the 3 of us....so the wrinkly old grandpa dudes all stayed clothed.

Bill_belaying_Adam_FA_Left_cheek_04_17_2010.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ivan!

These naked pics always seem to get positive comments from the ladies and snorts or derision from the men. There's some better ones out there which will show up at some point. This route is located to the left of "Adam's Crack". We had listed that route as a 5.7, but after watching a 5.8/5.9 climber stress a bit on the top of that one the other day, we bumped the grade up. This one will most likely get a single bolt up high later so you can run up an otherwise unprotected fin, and not feel compelled to traverse back into Adams Crack.

Here is the earlier naked FA trip reports for those routes:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/865271/Opinons_needed_thread_NSFW#Post865271

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/875734/Searchpage/3/Main/66293/Words/Adams+crack/Search/true/NSW_naked_pics_Let_your_freak_#Post875734

Per Ivans earlier critique of illicit use of shoes, they were left on the ground for this go round. The pro looked better in person than these shots indicate.

Adam FA and first naked ascent of "The Left Cheek".

Adam_on_The_Left_Cheek.jpg

Adam_on_The_Left_Cheek_1.jpg

ps, I was emailed that there were actually 9 people lap Tribal Therapy this weekend, not 7. The interesting part of that is that most of the usual suspects were on the North Face of Beacon for the parade and not in the vicinity this weekend.

Bolts are bad but this sort of thing is ok?

No Geoff: bolts can be fine, smoking out of a rock pipe is fine, running around naked is fine, enjoying your life and drinking in moderation is fine too. Beer is fine, wine is fine. It's all good. Swimming naked is fine too. Ever try it? Get naked and swim over to that island after climbing at Beacon in the summer? I used to do it a lot. You can almost wade over there in August when the river drops, and its a short refreshing swim. Crap, when I was young I lived with @ 10 folks once, and we all hung out at the nude beach a lot (Sauvies). One of them was a 62 year old heavy woman. Anyone who is all uptight probably should head over there, strip it off and get over themselves. Crap, you head over to Copenhagen or and when the first suns of spring are out there's naked and half naked folks sunning all over the city in the parks. Some smokin hot women too. You dudes just need to relax a tad and lighten up on all these judgmental things you have running all inside yer minds. .

No Geoff: bolts can be fine, smoking out of a rock pipe is fine, running around naked is fine, enjoying your life and drinking in moderation is fine too. Beer is fine, wine is fine. It's all good. Swimming naked is fine too. Ever try it? Get naked and swim over to that island after climbing at Beacon in the summer? I used to do it a lot. You can almost wade over there in August when the river drops, and its a short refreshing swim. Crap, when I was young I lived with @ 10 folks once, and we all hung out at the nude beach a lot (Sauvies). One of them was a 62 year old heavy woman. Anyone who is all uptight probably should head over there, strip it off and get over themselves. Crap, you head over to Copenhagen or and when the first suns of spring are out there's naked and half naked folks sunning all over the city in the parks. Some smokin hot women too. You dudes just need to relax a tad and lighten up on all these judgmental things you have running all inside yer minds. .

:yoda:

Nailed it!

Enjoy ALL of lifes pleasures in moderation.

Get over yourself.

Have FUN!

:tup:

Bolts are bad but this sort of thing is ok?

sounds about like hanging out in the merced on a restday, though admitably nude bathing is probably a great deal easier on the eyes then me wading round the river in shit-stained drawers :)

Crap, you head over to Copenhagen or and when the first suns of spring are out there's naked and half naked folks sunning all over the city in the parks.

Yeah, but in Copenhagen they don't rush home to post pictures on the interwebs of all the hot dudes they were hangin' with that day. :lmao:

You can't pretend it's "no big deal" and then come online and make a big deal out of it and then complain when people take the bait ;)

This seems pretty harmless, so long as Bill, Jim, Jeff, or the other old-skool elders NEVER climb naked in front of the younger generation... Is that a hemorrhoid, or are you just "racking" your pitons in a new spot? :shock::poke::ass:

This takes light and fast to a whole new level...

I'd suggest going to the PRG or Ozone and recruit the most fit, female climbers that are at least 18 years old for this tradition.

penny takin a dump at the base?!?

No way dude! She's the perfect crag dog, goes off the trail to shit and piss. :tup:

You just gave away the true identity of the King Beatard. Guess that's how you got the title, eh, King B? :poke:

I didn't know it was a secret, I asked Off White to change my name so I could post on this thread without google searches leading people to my ass on the internet.

Things seemed pretty quiet, I mean I didn't see any outraged peasants post a new thread, form a militia, or burn any effigies.