Wal-Mart puptent

johndavidjr

I assume climbers doing exclusively or even mostly high-altitude routes in arctic or sub-arctic conditions are tiny minority on this board. Maybe this is wrong.

Typical summer Cascades/Sierra alpine camp is in benign weather at moderate altitude, with only real menance being mosquitos.

Rock climbers have somewhat healthy tendency to shop for equipment by brand. I have moderate experience and tend to favor Black Diamond.

Many climbers I meet have essentially unlimited funds and are mid-career doctors. engineers, and lawyers, and transfer this tendency to other areas: Clothing, cars, booze, restaurants........

Many non-climbers I meet have similar tendencies........

"Backpackers" per se, are idiots, pure and simple.

There is absolutely nothing I can think of worse, more lame, than an "expert" backpacker giving advise to a "novice."

Typically, they emphasize supposed complexity and dangers of sleeping, and the need for vast experience and expensive equipment to accomplish this.

Gets creepy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's absolutely true that many climbers, at all levels, in Gunks are economically, and/or often intellectually elite. Especially those like myself (modest and poor climber) in middle age and older.

Some of the very best climbers I've encountered in Washington State have been relatively poor, and weirdly humble, backwoodsmen.

"Best climbers" aren't my subject.

Creepy sleeping and hiking advise for boy scout-types in mild conditions is my concern.

Saying that a $20 tent (basically for one person) that can be modified to weigh 2-3 pounds is laughable gives me the creeps.

I've heard lots of this kind of response from "backpackers" that are highly impressed with their ability to walk and sleep, and hyper-BS concerned about "warning" people against taking a hike without "survival training" and God-knows what nonesense.

The other issue is self-identification with high-price brands and consumer goods. Like, I'd NEVER buy a $4.00 bottle of wine and Budweiser is bad for morality and your resume...

This all seems like it's all been done before, almost word for word....man, deja vue....

I assume climbers doing exclusively or even mostly high-altitude routes in arctic or sub-arctic conditions are tiny minority on this board. Maybe this is wrong.

Typical summer Cascades/Sierra alpine camp is in benign weather at moderate altitude, with only real menance being mosquitos.

Rock climbers have somewhat healthy tendency to shop for equipment by brand. I have moderate experience and tend to favor Black Diamond.

Many climbers I meet have essentially unlimited funds and are mid-career doctors. engineers, and lawyers, and transfer this tendency to other areas: Clothing, cars, booze, restaurants........

Many non-climbers I meet have similar tendencies........

"Backpackers" per se, are idiots, pure and simple.

There is absolutely nothing I can think of worse, more lame, than an "expert" backpacker giving advise to a "novice."

Typically, they emphasize supposed complexity and dangers of sleeping, and the need for vast experience and expensive equipment to accomplish this.

Gets creepy.

It's absolutely true that many climbers, at all levels, in Gunks are economically, and/or often intellectually elite. Especially those like myself (modest and poor climber) in middle age and older.

Some of the very best climbers I've encountered in Washington State have been relatively poor, and weirdly humble, backwoodsmen.

"Best climbers" aren't my subject.

Creepy sleeping and hiking advise for boy scout-types in mild conditions is my concern.

Saying that a $20 tent (basically for one person) that can be modified to weigh 2-3 pounds is laughable gives me the creeps.

I've heard lots of this kind of response from "backpackers" that are highly impressed with their ability to walk and sleep, and hyper-BS concerned about "warning" people against taking a hike without "survival training" and God-knows what nonesense.

The other issue is self-identification with high-price brands and consumer goods. Like, I'd NEVER buy a $4.00 bottle of wine and Budweiser is bad for morality and your resume...

LOL!

Saved for posterity G-spotter:

"Originally Posted: Thu, 3 Sep 19:17 MDT

Leduc Walmart Hottie - m4w

Date: 2009-09-03, 7:17PM MDT

You were a delicious BBW with a stained white t-shirt & a half a dozen kids in tow, I was sporting a skullet with a HD jean vest & short cut-offs. You offered me a dart from your fresh deck & I refused as I don't smoke menthols. I would love to reconsider that offer, and by the way that wasn't my old lady with me that was my parole officer.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1357508328"