Your Route Names are 0wn3d!

slothrop

I read about Tomaz Humar climbing a hard new route alpine-style on Aconcagua that he called "Mobitel's Swallow - Johan's Route". "WTF is Mobitel's Swallow?", I thought. It turns out that Mobitel is one of his sponsors. He named the route after his sponsor and his dead friend Johan.

In the same issue of Rock & Ice, some asshat named Ron Olevsky suggests that route developers should hold the exclusive copyright on route names and topos.

All this makes me sick. I thought climbing was one of the last places in life where I could be free from corporate interests and, God forbid, intellectual property debates.

madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some asshat named Ron Olevsky suggests that route developers should hold the exclusive copyright on route names and topos.

madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

I actually have a copywrite on the term "asshat." Expect a lawsuit forthwith, for $10,000 in damages. But I'll settle right here for $19.95, or a case of Mickey's Bigmouth.

its bachelor butte technically, but ownership got state to change it to "mount" cuz it sounds more alpine.

BUT, we do have an italian bistro called 'scapolos' on the mountain (italian for bachelor) and some italian dude from the mother land threatened with a lawsuit saying he had the word 'scapolos' patented:)

its bachelor butte technically, but ownership got state to change it to "mount" cuz it sounds more alpine.

This one has always pissed me off. It's geologically a butte, it had always been referred to as a butte, and then the USGS caved on the renaming. madgo_ron.gif