Mountaineering in Pakistan

shahid

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone interested in high altitude military action should check out the January Outside Magazine, it was a bitchen article about soldiers on the India/Pakistan border fighting and living at up to 22,000 feet. One hardcore MOFO lived at like 21,000' for 180 days, aparantly some kind of summitpost.com record.

Awesome article though. fruit.gif

"One hardcore MOFO lived at like 21,000' for 180 days, aparantly some kind of summitpost.com record."

Since people over there have summited Everest, and Ivano has made a countless number of new routes on the North Face of the Eiger, and 8,000 meter peaks in Pakistan, Nepal, and Tibet, what exactly do you meen Bronco? What have you done? I thought so.

I don't go over there any more, but atleast try for a decent slam. I think that is the most pathetic attempt I've ever heard.

Sabertooth, that wasn't a slam, I was just indicating that summitpost might be more interested exactly for the reasons you listed above and not many here seems real intriged by records like that, but I was.

Have a nice day and try not to take this internet stuff too seriously, it can get under your skin if you let it.

There's an article in the American Alpine News about how tourism has dropped off in Pakistan. In 2002, the country brought in less than a third of what it made in peak fees in 2001. Add to that the two earthquakes that hit northern Pakistan, and it looks like the Pakistani tourism industry is hurting.

You mean people don't want to go to a country where there is a good chance of being kidnapped and beheaded!? pitty.gif Naahh!! Ya don't say! hahaha.gif

That's the thing. From what I read in the AAN article, only three foreigners in 40 years have ever been murdered while trekking or climbing in Pakistan, and all those were lone, guideless trekkers. Though if you go around these days wrapped in a US flag, waving an M-16, and dropping Big Mac wrappers everywhere while grabbing all the burqa-covered ass in sight, your chances might not be so good. I'd say if you're a well-financed sahib who tips his liaison officer generously, you'll be safer than the natives.

One of the reasons that they have brought in a third of the revenue is that they reduced the climbing fees by 50% for 2002. Another reason would be the horrid weather during the climbing season over there the last few years. Last year there were no successful accents of K2, any of the 7 Gasherbrums, Broad Beak, Chogolisa, Muztagh Tower, etc. I'm sure the fact that they are harboring known terrorists hurts there revenue too!

One of the reasons that they have brought in a third of the revenue is that they reduced the climbing fees by 50% for 2002. Another reason would be the horrid weather during the climbing season over there the last few years. Last year there were no successful accents of K2, any of the 7 Gasherbrums, Broad Beak, Chogolisa, Muztagh Tower, etc. I'm sure the fact that they are harboring known terrorists hurts there revenue too!

Yeah, and they're extending that 50% discount for this year, too. Hey, Shahid, I'm doing your marketing for you!

There were only 29 expeditions last year (compared to 70 in 2001). The article sez that a Japanese guy summitted Gasherbrum I and had an epic, and another Japanese made it up Spantik, but died in the descent. Yeah, sounds like a bad year. hellno3d.gif

I was in Concordia last year and didn't hear about the G1 and Spantik ascents. What is your source? The weather was shite pretty much the whole time. I saw the International Peace Climb heading over to Broad Peak and they did not look optimistic.

Shadid, the $6,000 rescue bond fee and those pesky Liason Officer requirements are killing you. How's the permitting process going so far this year. More applicants than last year?

I was in Concordia last year and didn't hear about the G1 and Spantik ascents. What is your source?

The recent American Alpine News, in an article by Greg Mortenson:

Japanese alpinist Fumiaki Goto summitted Gasherbrum I (8068 meters) on August 5. During his descent, Goto lost consciousness at Camp III and survived and extraordinary four days without food or water before his helicopter evacuation to Skardu... Japanese climber Saito Kenji died at camp III on Spantik Peak after summitting.

Fairweather, who's Ned Gillette?

From the AAC NY web page

Gillette was killed during an attempted robbery on August 5, 1998 while trekking with his wife Susie Patterson in the Haramosh valley of Pakistan.

Gillette was best known for undertaking international ski mountaineering and exploratory expeditions. He completed the first circumnavigation around Mount Everest and made ski descents of Muztagh Ata in China and many other peaks. He was also a member of the 1968 U.S. Olympic cross-country ski team. In addition to his mountaineering exploits, he had written many articles for The National Geographic and other publications and books about Everest and skiing.

what ..... they didn't mention is sea voyage in the "Red Tomato"?

the guy was a very talented and ballsy adventurer, the circumnav of Everst was done with Rowel and Kim Schimdt if I remember right

Thanks for the info. I've never read their journal. Is it worth the $35?

The journal (AAJ, the big book) is great. I read it mostly to gape at climbs I'll never do. There are some entertaining stories in there, but also a lot of boring trip reports that are only useful if you're going to climb Peak 6848 in the Karakoram or whatever. The quarterly AAN is a little booklet and isn't much of a read, with a lot of ads and pictures of club members at meetings.

Oops, the article I referenced said that the only murdered trekkers were traveling without guides or porters, not necessarily alone.