New word of the day

Greg_W

"farinaceous", 1) Made from, rich in, or composed of starch. 2) Powdery or mealy in texture.

Ran across this word in Sir Ernest Shackleton's "South"; his account of the loss of the Endeavor. He was commenting that, though they had plenty of seal meat (read, "protein") and blubber (read "fat") to feast on, they were still weakened due to the lack of farinaceous foods in their diet. I read that as carbohydrates.

Homework: Use in a sentence during your casual conversations today.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my attempt:

"Only a geek or someone who was extremely bored or addicted to posting would post a new thread concerning the non-climbing-related word farinaceous on a climbing bulletin board." smile.gif

What do ya think? Yes, I'm an addicted Geek_em8.gif too for even responding in this thread.

Here's my attempt:

"Only a geek or someone who was extremely bored or addicted to posting would post a new thread concerning the non-climbing-related word farinaceous on a climbing bulletin board." smile.gif

Not true, Klank. The discussion of diet and amount of proteins and farinaceous vittles is key to good climbing trip nutrition.

Farinaceous etc are pointless words because you wil nevere make them in scrabble.

The good words are two letter ones like od a hypothetical supernatural force and oe a Whirlwind off the Faroe Islands , and li a Chinese measure of area

You win a lot of games knowing these ones!