NCNP peak suggestions?

Fromage

Hey gang, I am looking to maximize the utility of my climbing time for the summer, and since I haven't spent a whole lot of time in the North Cascades it would be criminal of me to neglect them any further. Some peaks I am considering are these:

Logan

Forbidden

Eldorado

Buckner

Goode

The attributes I seek are minimally confusing approaches (I know, these are the North Cascades), aesthetically pleasing routes, technical difficulty of 5.7 max (for speed), and proximity to established campgrounds along major trail systems (LNT considerations).

Please let me know your thoughts on these peaks if you have done them, or suggest some others you think merit consideration. Thanks cantfocus.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fromage-

I would delete Buckner from your list and add Shuksan. Although one of the highest Cascade peaks and fairly easy (technically), Buckner has a slightly gnarly approach to the standard route that I have not done but which I believe to be not all that exciting while Shuksan (via either Lake Anne to the Fischer Chimney's route or the cross country "trail" to the Sulphide) is just as high (maybe 30 feet higher ?), heavily glaciated, and about as scenic as it gets. A climb of Shucksan includes glaciers travel and a rock pyramid at the summit, and it is more distant from surrounding peaks. Indeed, in my opinion Shuksan is one of the most beautiful peaks in the State. I am assuming that you are asking about relatively non-technical ascents, and both of these routes on Shuksan would fit the bill.

I would not overlook Mount Baker, either. Though a volcano (volcano's may not be seen as classic Cascade peaks), it has an easy approach to either the Coleman Glacier route or the Easton Glacier route, and it is way scenic.

Definitely go to Eldorado. The approach isn't that bad and the climbing is quite easy via the standard route. Good bivy sites at the base of the route, too, and you'll get incredible views of Forbidden across the way. You can stash beers in the creek mere minutes from the car.

If you're trying to maximize your climbing time, tick off an area. The Washington Pass area offers solid climbing on various peaks (S. Winter Spire, Concord Tower, Liberty Bell, Kangaroo Ridge, Silver Star and Cutthroat) as does the Cascade Pass area (Forbidden, just do it on a week day to avoid the crowds, Torment, Mixup, Sahale and further up the valley Eldorado and Primus).

Logan is an easy climb and it takes a day approach to get there, not a good idea if you are limited on time.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Looking at your list I have only done 2 of them. However if I was to pick one climb out of the other 3 I would go for Goode. It appears to be a nice mountain. Although it's not short work getting in and out of there (unless you are some alpine ninja) I bet it's worth it.

I agree with some people here when they suggest climbing Mt Shuksan. I also agree with climbing Mt Stuart via the North Ridge if you can too (although not in the park). How about Triumph as well?

I disagree with WA pass unless you just like sub alpine granite climbs. Although it's a nice area it's mostly just rock climbing and no cool glacier terrain. For some reason I beleive many out of state mountain climbers come to view this range with it's expanse of cool glaciers.

Triumph is very cool but you'd need to be quite the alpine ninja to pull it off in a day. I failed to do it in a day plus an evening, because we got lost on the approach in the dark (wrong side of @#$% lake). It's quite reasonable in two days but lots of folks take three.

If you have two or three days to do a single climb in that area I would also consider the South Pickets. I haven't climbed there myself but I've heard so much raving about Inspiration that it is starting to make my ears hurt by now.

You're probably right about the appeal of glaciers to out-of-staters Capt. I know when I first moved here from chicago, I couldn't even believe there was snow at places in the summertime shocked.gif!!

I just like a trip to the Pass once a year. It's nice to have an approach without the brush every once in awhile and there are what I think, are some nice enjoyable and mellow climbs there (I have yet to get the fortitude to do some of the eastern-side Spires climbs).