Quote of the day

shuksan

"On the one hand, as scientists we are ethically bound to the scientific method, in effect promising to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but - which means that we must include all the doubts, the caveats, the ifs, ands, and buts. On the other hand, we are not just scientists but human beings as well. And like most people we'd like to see the world a better place, which in this context translates into our working to reduce the risk of potentially disastrous climatic change. To do that we need to get some broadbased support, to capture the public's imagination. That, of course, entails getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. This 'double ethical bind' we frequently find ourselves in cannot be solved by any formula. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest. I hope that means being both."

Stanford Climatologist Dr. Stephen Schneider

Oct. 1989 Discover magazine

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that speaks volumes about the intellectual dishonesty of the Malthusian climatologist faction. I want honesty and impartiality in science.

"Effective" scientists are essentially politicians and dishonest scientists who inevitably skew results. When life depends on it (say in aviation or pharmaceutical industries for instance), these "effective" scientists endanger or kill people because of their "effectiveness" in favor of their sponsor's ideas.

which means that we must include all the doubts, the caveats, the ifs, ands, and buts

which is exactly what is done in the peer reviewed literature. The IPCC report (which is the most up-to-date, comprehensive document on climate science) is based on peer reviewed publications, not media soundbites.

nice try but don't confuse issues next time, i.e. nobody said the final word on climate science was to be found in mass media.

wait a second... you guys wouldn't be talking about National Pentagon Radio would you? Ever give a thought to the dominant paradigm that is presented there... by an agency that is directly funded by politicians? Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, for example, actually cites ABC of having more balanced reporting of issues revolving around Palestine than NPR. That was based on the distribution of the words 'attack' and 'retaliation' in new reporting over, I think, a six-month time frame.

Be critical of all of your sources of information, including the ones you like. That is also good science. How do you know what you know? If you can't answer that, or at least understand why that question is important, then you basically have a lot of poorly supported second hand information whether it is correct or no.

Shit, it's friday and time for bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifcantfocus.gif