Free Press

mattp

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly think the mainstream press could get away with veering too far to one side or the other and not suffer a major hit to the pocketbook? They need to stay as mushy as possible to keep their viewers/readers/listeners.

Again - you may be right. But so far in this discussion, I think I have shown how two very important topics have been handled as our administration would want them handled -- without any balanced presentation of the facts -- while GregW has asserted that the media is liberal without citing any examples and Trask, who is a pretty intelligent and generally well-intformed guy can only say that he thinks a couple of TV channels have been "anti-gun." I'm not so sure if they have been unfair in their presentation of the facts, but it could be that they haven't given Charleton Heston and Ted Nugent equal time with the reporters who present the details of gun crimes. Any more examples?

DFA actually hit it on the head for once. The President is so goddamn popular right now, and the Dems. have absolutely no ammunition with which to thwart his efforts, that the Press will agree with GW to keep the ratings up. If they lambast him now, they'll lose their audience.

The press is suckin hind teat.

Sorry, DFA has no sound output devices. Didn't know there was Muzak there. Was it Celine Dion, or the music from the X-Files?

Tough to say, but I think it's a crappy MIDI reproduction of the original "Terminator" music. It's bloody awful, but strangely amusing at the same time.

Listen, Monkey Face; if you wanna start something, Just Do It. You think you're the Big Boss Man, but you're a total Gumby. Your wannabe-Toxic spray sounds like it was on Blue Light Special at spraymart, chump. Although talking shit seems to be the Latest Rage, the Doctor is tired of innocent bystanders getting caught in the Crossfire, so maybe it's time to Take a Powder, as this has all the appeal of a Trask Peep Show, which is enough to trigger a Vomit Launch in anyone, if not enough to make you Slit Your Wrist.

Oops, Time's Up!

the Press will agree with GW to keep the ratings up. If they lambast him now, they'll lose their audience.

I agree that the democrats are pathetic and this overview sounds quite plausible. Would this mean that, at least for now, there is no liberal press?

the Press will agree with GW to keep the ratings up. If they lambast him now, they'll lose their audience.

I agree that the democrats are pathetic and this overview sounds quite plausible. Would this mean that, at least for now, there is no liberal press?

the pocketbook matters in term of whether they *appear* to be veering to one side. Since the bias is mostly expressed through omissions of relevant facts, the reality they portray does not appear to be veering anywhere but simply staying the course.

"Does anybody have an example of how an issue has been consistently portrayed - in news stories and in headlines - with a "liberal slant" in major newspapers or on national TV? "

Sure. More gun control will work, when the thousands of gun laws we already have, are already broken in nearly every gun crime. Tax cuts "cost" the govt a static amount of money because tax rates are fixed to revenue by an unshakable linear progression. That should be good for starters.

What cracks me up the most about the recent complaints about a "right wing" media bias is the dems screaming about talk radio. Apparently some are in favor of trying to build some kind of liberal talk network or pick out a new liberal host who can pull the numbers major conservatives do.

The thing is, they actually seem to think there aren't any liberal hosts, when they do exist, they just don't get ratings. They seem to be assuming their message isn't getting out, while the real problem is their message is already out and the ratings of those hosts they don't like are the result of people wanting to hear something else.

The thing is, they actually seem to think there aren't any liberal hosts, when they do exist, they just don't get ratings. They seem to be assuming their message isn't getting out, while the real problem is their message is already out and the ratings of those hosts they don't like are the result of people wanting to hear something else.

I actually agree with you for once, Mr. Goat. The democrats and the liberal establishment (if there is one) have been rather pathetic lately. Like maybe 20 years or more.

Edited by mattp

The President is so goddamn popular right now, and the Dems. have absolutely no ammunition with which to thwart his efforts, that the Press will agree with GW to keep the ratings up

You have it turned around, the press made GW popular. He has been a media darling from the start.

You have it turned around, the press made GW popular. He has been a media darling from the start.

I know you're a cynical fuck like me, j_b, but I think that GW is popular because he resonated with a large portion of the people. "Media Darling"?? I hardly think so; I remember the talking heads bashing his speaking abilities, mannerisms, etc., running all the stories about his drinking, drugs, his being stupid. Why didn't they run any stories about Al Gore being an idiot? Why didn't they trot out his outrageous claims to eliminate the internal combustion engine? That's bias.

I still haven't seen a specific example of media left bias, compared to the specific examples matt provided. If you have a specific example of how some event or policy was spinned I would also be curious to see it. Just saying "gun control" isn't specific.

I'll provide an example for your comment. When Clinton was president the previously Telecommunication Bill was passed. There was very little critical analysis in the news (surprise), and very little debate in Congress. There was some response by editorial columnists, but never critical analysis on the front page. The overwhelming response has been a growth of white-bread media coverage. So even with a so-called liberal president, the media coverage was just mouthing whatever press release they got.

Interestingly, w/r/t GWB being stupid, NPR interviewed some conservative dude who had been one of Bush's speech writers until recently, who just published a book about the W. He was positing that Dubya is actually quite smart, contrary to popular opinion. Interesting that NPR would be the source of something like that, but there you go.

"Does anybody have an example of how an issue has been consistently portrayed - in news stories and in headlines - with a "liberal slant" in major newspapers or on national TV? "

Sure. More gun control . . .

The Brady Bill is harsh, and what party did Jim Brady belong to when he took one to the head for the Gipper? At least the McCarthy in the group took one to the gut (which is a lot easier to bounce back from, in case you're wondering). I blame the GOP for that Bill (even though Chuckie Schumer was the sponsor).