grivel snowshoes ??

leejams

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more than one type of grivel snowshoe. One style has crampons already while the other assumes you will have some on. The grivel snowshoes are good and grip better than my msr ones. Anybody wanna trade for the ones that come without crampons for my denali classic msrs?

401.01.jpg

Violino is a multi-purpose snowshoe that may be used on a variety of mountain terrains. The snowshoe binding may be attached directly to crampons while the crampons are on the boots, allowing confident use on steep icy slopes. Transition from snowshoes to crampons at the base of a route is safe and effortless. Heel lifters reduce calf-muscle strain on steep inclines. The Violino may be adjusted to most boot sizes. It can be split into two smaller sections to carry in your pack. VIOLINO is still one of the lightest snow shoes on the market.

1690 gr

54,49 ozs

Cpt. Caveman thanks for the picture and info. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and true in this case. I was a bit confused with the talk of crampons etc... as I had only seen the picture with the binding. Now It makes sense and I like the part that they are the lightest and can be broken down. I think I may get a pair. As you know the ones I have now are great for flat terrain and powder snow. Yeah right, just where can that be found in the cascades haha, except maybe the forest service roads. Also have been checking 0ut those DMM ice tools and seem fair enough price. Thanks again bigdrink.gif

When you add the tails to the Denalis you're increasing the length and the surface, but when you lengthen the Grivels you're opening up the hole in the middle. The only surface increase is because more of the rails is exposed to the snow. Even without increasing the surface the greater length will still give you more flotation methinks.

Who cares though, the only reason to use these snowshoes instead of some big old pair of penguin feet is that you're going to be in the trees and talus and boulders and whatnot, and at that point you have a different tradeoff - bigger snowshoes are going to get more tangled up. They will also be a total nuisance on your pack once you start climbing. If you're not going to climb and thrash, take skis...

• 1 month later...

Update on this snowshoe (grivel violino). Bought a pair, took em out today and a MAJOR pain in the ass. The binding is so cheesy with the 1 strap over the top and 1 strap around the heel there was horizontal heel play and every time your heel came down they would hit the tops of the metal things sticking up (see caveys pic above) causing your ankle to constantly twist.

That was the good part (going up) coming down was a joke and no traction whatsoever. The selling point on these for me was that you wear your crampons on them. However, the fucking binding was so high that the points of your crampons barely cleared the bottom! And then the kicker, I noticed at one point the heel lifter bail on one completely fell off somewhere in 3 feet of snow with no luck of finding it.

SOooooo in less than 1/2 mile with this GRIVEL CRAP they are now totally worthless.

Oh yes did I mention GRIVEL sucks HCL.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Lee,

Send your comments to Bill Belcourt, President of Grivel North America (bill@grivel.com.) I met him at Pro Mountain Sports making the rounds and picking up feedback from the field. He gave me, a total nobody, a half an hour clinic on tools and crampons. He struck me as a totally genuine guy.

He may not be the one to get you a refund (that's REI's job and I have no doubt that you'll get your money back,) but I bet he takes your feedback seriously and that we'll see a better snowshoe as a result of it.

P/S, I like this lil devil guy the_finger.gif