shutdown

glassgowkiss

What is this, enlightented despotism meets the Minutemen? Funny how the 'crisis of democracy' is portrayed here as the citizenry run amok (mob rule)/Federal abuse of power when the real 800-pound gorilla is campaign finance and the stacking of government posts with corporate toadies. Both of which are just as bad if not worse in many local governments.

I don't know any righties who would disagree with you--particularly your last sentence. Welcome to the dark side.

I heard the Cock brothers are particularly worried about campaign finance.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this, enlightented despotism meets the Minutemen? Funny how the 'crisis of democracy' is portrayed here as the citizenry run amok (mob rule)/Federal abuse of power when the real 800-pound gorilla is campaign finance and the stacking of government posts with corporate toadies. Both of which are just as bad if not worse in many local governments.

I don't know any righties who would disagree with you--particularly your last sentence. Welcome to the dark side.

I heard the Cock brothers are particularly worried about campaign finance.

That issue has already been settled as free speech. In any event, Koch contributions dwarf those made by the American Federation of Teachers who gave 100% of their $$ to Democrats. Talk about an unholy alliance!

http://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topcontribs.php

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/after-demonizing-koch-brothers-dscc-asks-them-money_576420.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/13/william-koch-chart_n_3749554.html

Edited by Fairweather

Strange how both sides are angry about Supreme Court rulings that didn't go their way.

"their" way, as if campaign finance reform is a liberal issue. Or is it? I know the old man is a fan of it. But maybe he's not tea party enough to be considered a republican these days.

This shutdown is perfect. Teabag douchery lost their remaining shreds credibility all together, even among fiscal conservatives. The best thing republicans can do at the moment is to give them a good kick to the ass as say so long assholes.

I'm looking forward to seeing tea party candidates challenge moderate republicans in the primaries. Either the moderate republican will suddenly fall over himself to prove he's extreme enough, or the teaparty candidate will win the nomination. Either way, democrats will pick up the seat. :laf:

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a Sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. ...Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and Grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Senator Barack Obama - March 2006

fair quote - but did he say we shouldn't' actually pay the bills we'd signed for already? :)

pretty certain that the majority of americans want a balanced budget too - problem is there's a buncha daylight between the two main-stream visions of what such a budget would look like, plus a completely calcified process of getting those 2 visions resolved into reality.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a Sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. ...Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and Grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Senator Barack Obama - March 2006

This isn't a debate about whether or not America has a debt problem, it's about a minority in one branch of government in one country holding the global economy hostage because the President of the United States is a "black soshalist".

This isn't a debate about whether or not America has a debt problem, it's about a minority in one branch of government in one country holding the global economy hostage because the President of the United States is a "black soshalist".

I guess it's easier for you to continue playing the hyperbolic race card than it is to acknowledge even the slightest bit of D-hypocrisy. Don't you think it's the least bit odd?

I don't remember a fringe left-wing of the Democratic Party holding the global economy hostage every chance it could over any Republican initiatives much less something as routine as the periodic need to raise the debt limit. Please refresh my memory over the hypocrisy here?

Edited by prole

Amazing how the debt itself hasn't hasn't wrecked the US's creditworthy-ness or damaged investors confidence in America or elicted calls to abandon the dollar as the world's reserve currency but the fringe TeaBagger whackjob caucus threats to shut down the government/default on its debts have. Time to clean house, Fairweather.

Rob, you seem to reply to almost every challenge to your worldview with phallic or homoerotic imagery. It's very strange. Seriously.

You seem to think a lot of stuff is "very strange." Are you still scratching your head trying to figure out if the russian painting of leavenworth was a false flag operation? OMG THE TIMING IS JUST TOO SUSPICIOUS!!!

Seriously.