Putting On Fat

Dru

I was sick of avacados by the time I finished reading what all Tricky can do with them!

I have always had problems keeping weight. I would like to hear how long you felt any benefits (days?) from the "diet"

I can weigh from 145-158 depending on fat & lifting program. But generally speaking, after prolonged climbing trips I will shrink down to the 145 mark reguardless of input of calories. Folks that have told me I'm "lucky" have never seen me shake at a belay much less led off with me holding the ropes while dancing better than Elvis!

Gainers fuel has put on extra lbs for me with out the need to "grease out". But the gained insulation always vanishes after a couple of cold days out.

fruit.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmm guacamole eggnog.

Actually, a friend of mine introduced me to avocado milkshakes & smoothies by ordering us 2 at a Vietnamese restaurant. I though they would be rude, and only started drinking to humor him, but they ROCK.

Avocado is the worlds most nutritious fruit. Has both fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins. MMMMMMMMM. bigdrink.gif

• 1 month later...

Gad, I lost a few pounds just reading about some of the disgusting foods people eat!! But to be honest, if you want to put on the pounds, it's better to just eat more (NOT necessarily more fat, y'all!) above and beyond what you expend on a regular basis. Peanut butter is one of the better foods for you -- protein, "good" fats, and (most people feel) good tasting. Just one more clarification: muscle and fat are completely different entities -- they don't "turn into" one another when you're gaining or losing weight. It just APPEARS as though, when you lose weight, it's "turned into muscle" but you had the muscle all along, it was just hidden under layers of fat. When I have clients training for a big climb like Denali, Aconcagua or Everest, I try to have them gain weight by adding as much muscle as possible (so when they start to waste away they still have enough to complete the tasks required while on the mountain and at altitude) but also try to eat as much as possible a month or so prior to going and while on the trip as well. BUT KEEP THE FOODS SENSIBLE and healthy, not a lot of crap -- because the crap won't give you the training performance you want leading up to the climb. Make sense?

• 1 year later...

There are 3500 Calories in one lb of fat. So you need to eat 500 calories over maintenance to gain one lb in one week. (part of this gain will probably be non-fat as well). IF you try to gain too much too fast it's gets pretty hard.

I think I would rather take a 13oz expedition weight capilene top and 11oz bottom than 10lbs of blubber. The blubber is harder to take off when it is hot. Cheaper than having your arteries scraped 20 years from now. At a whopping 148lbs at 5'8", I get cold easy but o well.

I have weighed this (plus or minus 2 lbs) for the past 20 years. I could never gain weight when I was trying too. Protein drinks, eating all I wanted and lifting all the time. I am glad I never put it on as I see others my age getting bigger and bigger. Dickdo is running rampant in these parts.

ummm.....that's when your gut sticks out farther than your dick do.

I like to eat Cup o' Noodles for breakfast when I'm out for a few days. Way too fattening to eat at home, but full-on power food in the BC.

huh... i don't know if it is true or not, but I heard that they amount of energy needed to digest that crap exceeds the amount provided by eating it. confused.gif

I like to eat Cup o' Noodles for breakfast when I'm out for a few days. Way too fattening to eat at home, but full-on power food in the BC.

huh... i don't know if it is true or not, but I heard that they amount of energy needed to digest that crap exceeds the amount provided by eating it. confused.gif

I doubt that, i think there are quite a few calories in a cup-o-noodles.

On a semi-related note, what do you all do for butter in the BC? a bunch of the camp foods i bring all call for butter in the recipe. bigdrink.gif

in repsonse to the carrott comments:

Low carb stupidity #12

Believing that carrots are fattening because they’re high on the glycemic index and because a popular fad diet book says so.

Low carb intelligence

Have we lost all vestiges of common sense? With an average carrot clocking in at 31 calories and 7.3 grams of carbs, do you really think that this orange-colored, nutrient-dense, low-calorie, all-natural, straight-out-of-the-ground root vegetable is going to make you fat? (if so, you are in "carbohydrate kindergarten.")

I doubt that, i think there are quite a few calories in a cup-o-noodles.

On a semi-related note, what do you all do for butter in the BC? a bunch of the camp foods i bring all call for butter in the recipe. bigdrink.gif

bring butter.

bring organic canola oil

WTF I just can't pack on the pounds. In camp this week I was eating three plates of dinner with 4 desserts every nbight, For lunch I had 3 sandwiches and a dozen snacky things, For breakfast pancakes, omlette, bacon and eggs and still I don't seem to have added one pound? Shit I was even getting heli'ed in to most places rather than climbing 1000m uphill

:wtf: confused.gif how can i ever hope to build up love handles with this metabolic handicap?

bring organic canola oil

WTF I just can't pack on the pounds. In camp this week I was eating three plates of dinner with 4 desserts every nbight, For lunch I had 3 sandwiches and a dozen snacky things, For breakfast pancakes, omlette, bacon and eggs and still I don't seem to have added one pound? Shit I was even getting heli'ed in to most places rather than climbing 1000m uphill

:wtf: confused.gif how can i ever hope to build up love handles with this metabolic handicap?

you bulimics make me puke. rolleyes.gif

Do the Anti-Atkins diet. Eggs and bacon won't help you pack it on.

Try this:

Take some bleached processed flour hogi buns, smother the insides with margerine, lay it open on a plate and cover it with Ramen and cheap hot dogs.

Tons of cheap bread should do the trick too.

Drink non-fat milk, because is has more carbs than whole milk.

Potatoes! Lots of them.

Suger over fat!

Considering that pure alcohol is used as stove fuel & then recall the definition of a calorie. (Can't use cheese cake to boil your coffee, & though you could maybe make a stove that burns butter, I reckon it would be less efficient & messy.) Also, I hear alcohol isn't readily metabolized. I don't really know what that means, & I don't know what carbo, protein, fat, is/are, but I hear alcohol is none of the above & I know if you're bonking-out from hunger, a few shots of booze won't address that particular problem, yet it can "help" you put on weight.

Massive Oreo Milkshakes are the key. Half tub ice cream, whole milk, and lots of oreos.

But seriously, to put fat on you have to eat tons of junk food and sit on your ass all day. Trust me though eating like that gets old fast. My parents have expensive grocery bills!