Gun Control

kevbone

The founders wanted to convey something with the bill of rights..

yes, that states should be able to have militias :)

how excited do you think slave-owners like washington and jefferson would have been to see the firepower of whole 18th-century regiments in the hands of singular citizens today? madness, they'd say - fucksakes, half the reason they wanted strong militias was to have the capacity to put down uppity common folks...

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you ever been in a "situation" where all the other folks had gun(s), but you didn't? Just curious.

yup (off route while doing a circuit hike in shenendoah n.p. and wandered into a veeeeery pissed off hunter pouring weapons out of every nook n'cranny), and i wouldn't be surprised if me having had a gun then wouldn't have made the whole scene much more intense and more likely to have gone badly (as it was i was extra polite and inquired into the shortest possible path off his property - i was young then - how many young guys are MORE polite when they're packing?)

Have any of you ever been in a "situation" where all the other folks had gun(s), but you didn't? Just curious.

Sure. The last time when I hiked up to Bagby Hot Springs met a guy carrying. I don't carry, didn't even have a pocket knife (I usually might only have 1 of the ten essentials, but it rotates which one it is) and will admit that it made me nervous till I had edged up on the guy close enough for comfort and stuck up a conversation and soon realized that other than the cowboy looking gun he had on his hip, he sounded and looked normal.

Um...no. Mexicans 'enjoy' the right to own firearms just like we do. It's more restricted, but the population hasn't been disarmed.

Gun politics in Mexico

Gun murder rates are about the same in Mexico as in the US. The overall murder rate is substantially higher, however. Reforming US drug policy would do more than anything else to rectify this.

Didn't bother to check on Brazil - I'm sure there's a dank nugg of ignorance at the heart of that one as well.

Apparently, Yellowlabia feels that knives are just as lethal as guns. I suppose its only a matter of time before the military figures this out and opts for swords instead of firearms - way cheaper.

Same desperate, mouth breathing arguments as always - its just that folks, better informed by the innernutz, are finally recognizing these turds for what they are - gun ads to keep sales propped up in an age of declining interest in gun/blood sports.

Hard the beat back the idiocy, not that anyone actually reads it (it's painful enough to skim over) when the snow is so nice and fluffy and the sun so nice and warm up there.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Schwacking up to a ridgeline in the Jefferson Wilderness, I was greeted by the barrel of a hunting rifle pointed at my chest by a shirtless, chamoed longhair who was extremely high on something and, by his own admission, ignorant of the location of both himself and his buddy. My only real surprise was to find a gun nut more than 100 feet from his truck.

I tore his heart out with my bare hands, took a bite, and spat it out because it was unworthy, choosing instead to dominance mate with his aorta.

I later spent a frosty, starry night watching a herd of elk gently graze on the shores of a mirror lake, not a hunter in sight.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

yup (off route while doing a circuit hike in shenendoah n.p. and wandered into a veeeeery pissed off hunter pouring weapons out of every nook n'cranny), and i wouldn't be surprised if me having had a gun then wouldn't have made the whole scene much more intense and more likely to have gone badly (as it was i was extra polite and inquired into the shortest possible path off his property - i was young then - how many young guys are MORE polite when they're packing?)

Last time I had a gun pointed at me was back in the day at a big party in the desert outside of Vegas. A bunch of gang bangers decided to take over and one put a shotgun to my face. I just said "I'm cool" and turned my back to the guy and walked away. All the while just waiting for him to blast me in the back. We decided to move on to another party. Good times. Yeah, if I was also packing, it may have gone down different.

Or, the time we were doing doughnuts in an old gravel lot dubbed "queer's lane" and some old red neck pulls out a rifle and gives a warning shot at my buddy's old tuna boat of a car. Ahh, the joys of youth.

I woke up one night staring into a shotgun barrel. I was beach camping while kayaking the N coast of the Dominican Republic - the gunman was Coast Guard - no boat, just a horse. Fortunately, I had uncharacteristically bothered to go through customs after making the crossing from Puerto Rico. I dug out my passport and went back to sleep.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

A always feel a lot safer in a crowded public event when there's lots and lots of guns around. Combine that with copious quantities of that other American staple and you've got yourself one helluva good time. That's why I like to attend Hell's Angels and Washington State Militia (yup, we got one!) parties. It's a window into what our society could be, if we only had the will. I think concerts, bars, and sporting events would be MUCH safer if everyone was armed appropriately. Oh, and courthouses. More guns = safer, so why do we put up with all these time, place, and manner restrictions?

I lived in L.A. for a while and a drunk guy wandered into the group house I was living in (door was unlocked!) and I awoke in the middle of the night to a stranger standing near my bed. In my disoriented state, I assumed he was lurking (really he was just peeing in the corner of my room)... I was younger at the time, dutifully armed, and nearly shot him. It's the only time I've ever pointed a loaded gun at another human.

The young man came back the next morning to apologize (and clean my carpet) and I was really, really glad I hadn't shot him. I wonder how many gun nuts would have just pulled the trigger?

Oh, and regarding Brazil (I took an extra 3 minutes to google it) - should be no surprise to anyone here considering the poster that its an "Um - no" again. Brazil voted AGAINST banning the sale of guns to civilians in 2005, not for it.

Guns do need to be registered and are subject to taxation in Brazil - about half are.

Perhaps pics of dead kids or personal penis enlarger collections is more up the OP's alley than Big Boy issues like this one. Fucking Oregon kooks. That must be some shitty drinking water down there, boys.

Idiots wouldn't be such a problem if they would just STFU. Unfortunately, the greater the chasm between actual and self described intellect, the more energetic the geyser of bullshit. Despite immediate self identification as buffoons, they still manage to make the world a little dumber due to shear output.

Hence - gun nutz. Even when they acknowledge they're simply tools in an extremely obvious, fear based gun marketing campaign, one that has actively quashed most real studies of the horrific levels of gun violence in the US which is so obviously and directly tied to nearly zero restrictions on gun sales, they still can't seem to take a breath through their nostrils.

Whether it's secret hero fantasy, tiny penis syndrome, or just proverbial fear of the Black Revolution, it's the same old shit, different bowlful of morons.

Meanwhile, kids continue to die in their schoolrooms because of it.

Thanks for that, assholes.

From Cristian Science monitor article By Eric Talmadge, Associated Press / January 28, 2013

"Brazil – gun murder capital

So how about a country that actually bans guns?

Since 2003, Brazil has come close to fitting that description. Only police, people in high-risk professions and those who can prove their lives are threatened are eligible to receive gun permits. Anyone caught carrying a weapon without a permit faces up to four years on prison.

But Brazil also tops the global list for gun murders.

According to a 2011 study by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, 34,678 people were murdered by firearms in Brazil in 2008, compared to 34,147 in 2007. The numbers for both years represent a homicide-by-firearm rate of 18 per 100,000 inhabitants — more than five times higher than the US rate.

Violence is so endemic in Brazil that few civilians would even consider trying to arm themselves for self-defense. Vast swaths of cities like Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are slums dominated by powerful drug gangs, who are often better armed than the police. Brazilian officials admit guns flow easily over the nation's long, porous Amazon jungle border.

Still, Guaracy Mingardi, a crime and public safety expert and researcher at Brazil's top think tank, Fundacao Getulio Vargas, said the 2003 law helped make a dent in homicides by firearms in some areas.

According to the Sao Paulo State Public Safety Department, the homicide rate there was 28.29 per 100,000 in 2003 and dropped to 10.02 per 100,000 in 2011.

Brazil wants more powerful guns in the hands of police. This month, the army authorized law enforcement officers to carry heavy caliber weapons for personal use.

Ligia Rechenberg, coordinator of the Sou da Paz, or "I am for Peace," violence prevention group, thinks that could make things worse. She said police will buy weapons that "they don't know how to handle, and that puts them and the population at risk."

Interesting story here discussing the 2003 Brazilian "Disarmament Statute" as they call it. The short version, just like in the US where we attribute declining crime rates to increased gun ownership, in Brazil, declining gun ownership tied to declining crime is most likely a demographic issue.

http://www.comunidadesegura.org/en/story-enforcing-brazils-gun-law-eight-years-later

Next up. Oh oh, looks like someone fell off the wagon and is slurring their words midday again.

Idiots wouldn't be such a problem if they would just STFU. Unfortunately, the greater the chasm between actual and self described intellect, the more energetic the geyser of bullshit. Despite immediate self identification as buffoons, they still manage to make the world a little dumber due to shear output.

Hence - gun nutz. Even when they acknowledge they're simply tools in an extremely obvious, fear based gun marketing campaign, one that has actively quashed most real studies of the horrific levels of gun violence in the US which is so obviously and directly tied to nearly zero restrictions on gun sales, they still can't seem to take a breath through their nostrils.

Whether it's secret hero fantasy, tiny penis syndrome, or just proverbial fear of the Black Revolution, it's the same old shit, different bowlful of morons.

Meanwhile, kids continue to die in their schoolrooms because of it.

Thanks for that, assholes.

Thanks for the post, Bill. I've provided the whole article, which pretty much refutes everything you've stated about the Brazilian gun ban (fictional - they simply have strict policies on concealed carry), and the ineffectiveness of strict policies (refuted by the stats from Japan and Switzerland, as well as anecdotally by the Brazilian law enforcement quoted in the CSM piece you provided).

The article covers 3 countries in all of a single page, hardly comprehensive, but it clearly supports the efficacy of stricter gun control policies in the countries discussed.

LOL

Gun policies and violence in Japan, Switzerland, and Brazil

Edited by tvashtarkatena