Climber still missing on Sloan Peak after 39 years

JasonG

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2018223873_pacificpclimber27.html

A well written article, and a poignant reminder about the familial cost of climbing fatalities. With two boys about the same age as Wally's sons were when he disappeared, the piece was a good reminder to always stack the odds in my favor. A photo from Mr. Scurlock as well!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were actually contacted by the Times for photos for this article, but at the time I didn't know what the article was, just that they needed a picture of Sloan. We all know who I told them to contact :)

In a report filed later, searchers said they withdrew after the "very active" Sloan Glacier seemed dead set on swallowing them up. One searcher broke through the snow into a hidden crevasse. Another, coming to his aid, set off a 120-foot-long fracture line on the glacier's surface.

hmmm, rather unclear what is meant by "setting off a 120-foot-long fracture line" in early September

It sounded like the weather turned for the worse during the latter part of the search. I'm guessing there was significant new snow at the elevation of the glacier, quite possible in early September, especially in the 1970's.

Here is a link to the Seattle Mountain Rescue January '74 report. SMR January '74 No mention of fresh snow, but creaking, tottering seracs seem to be on the menu. As I suspected, WS, the owner of the suspicious sling was no other than Bill Summner. I wonder what kind of shennagins ol' Bill was up to.

No mention of fresh snow, but creaking, tottering seracs seem to be on the menu.

It reads as if it was a horror show. I never had a 120' fracture propagate from setting an anchor. Pretty ballsy rescue mission.

There is another heartbreaking story in that 1973 MRC bulletin - a three year old boy who wandered off near Lake Wenatchee and was never found, despite a massive search over five days. Nearly the same age as my two sons.... :(

I can't force myself to begin imagining what these poor people must have gone through. I have been blessed to live a life free of major trauma thus far and I am not one to dwell on what might be, but considering this kind of tragedy makes me nauseated.

Yes, I read that too. And the kid's dad was active in local SAR. Yikers.

There is another heartbreaking story in that 1973 MRC bulletin - a three year old boy who wandered off near Lake Wenatchee and was never found, despite a massive search over five days. Nearly the same age as my two sons.... :(