Hard shell Jackets

rbnsngr

Hi everyone,

I need to buy a good hard shell jacket for an upcoming climb, and need some advice. Having never owned one before, should the hard shell jacket fit tight or should it be a little looser? I am in between a L and XL and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with the wrong size.

Thanks,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather have form fitting then baggy and loose. I currently have a XL jacket and while it's nice for hiking in when I put on a harness it bunches up and doesn't look very steezy.

like here, looks like I have a massive gut = no steeze

381818_2848999342548_1186393944_33277035_178201207_n.jpg

get the large. you won't be sorry.

Get an XL in a hard shell if you are between sizes. Hard shells don't generally stretch. Although there are a few high tech ones now that do a tiny bit. As DPS implies better too big than too small as the hard shell will need to go over everything but your last layer of cold weather insulation.

You should look at what shells you like, as in weight, durability, breathability, and price. (I like Rab, and the event fabric, But I run hot.) Then go to a gear shop and try on your favorites with and without insulating layers(Fleece, Down, PrimaLoft, ext), and make sure you have full range of motion.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, you need to procure a shell that is large enough to fit over a minimum of layers: base, mid(soft shell) and insulation. Therefore, when wearing the shell by itself, or with only the base layer, it will be a tad baggy. You don't want a jacket that is too restrictive as, this will create problems with versatility and movement while climbing or another type of ascent. Better a little too big, than a little small.

Also, it depends on what kind of climb you are doing? If you are in a position of only needing it to go over one layer, you might be able to buy a tighter fit.

I personally can't stand baggy clothing when I'm climbing. It drives me crazy. But i think that buying big is the way to go. I would find the brand you want with the fabric and features you want. Go try it on in the stores find what fits and shop around for the best price. Take your time fits a big deal to me. Although it took me a few trips to find the setup I like the best. If your new to climbing I wouldn't go crazy buying up gear you may change your mind like me after a couple trips.

Hi everyone,

I need to buy a good hard shell jacket for an upcoming climb, and need some advice. Having never owned one before, should the hard shell jacket fit tight or should it be a little looser? I am in between a L and XL and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with the wrong size. Thanks,

You don't say what kind of climb....lots of variety there, or where it will be (conditions like wet, freezing butt-assed cold and otherwise dry, lots of rough rock, etc etc). So with that lack of info for a start, I'll add to the good advice above:

I had read Danes stoke on the First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) Frontpoint Jacket a while back and wound up buying 2. (I bought the 2nd when they discontinued it). While I understand his stokage, I'd say that the Mountain Hardware Kepler I just got the bro deal on outperforms it as a rain jacket, and it's a "soft"(er) shell. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Kepler%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM4151,default,pd.html

If it was me and I was starting again, I'd touch base and most likely 99% believe that I'd buy one of BillA's NW Alpine quality US made products, pay full price, which seems damned reasonable given that Mt hardware is made in China and NW Alpines stuff is US made. (it's a long story why I got the MThardware jacket) I'll be heading his way for a pair of pants soon. Email them per link below and ask the question. Let us know what you choose to do, I'm curious.

Click here or the ad to the right

Good luck on the climb.

I agree with Bill. Lots of jackets out there now that perform better than my EB Frontpoint. But at the time..going on 4 years ago now it was one of the best I had used and I liked it a lot. Which retailed on sale for $125 btw :)

DryQ Elite and some of the other new fabrics were only samples even a few years ago.

Most impressive fabric I have used to date, while testing all sorts of current shells both soft and hard is a specific Neoshell.

The Neoshell in the soft version is changing the way I dress for climbing.

Your hard shell will be worn when you are climbing in the COLD, and also when you are cooking a meal and the wind chill is at ZERO DEGREES. As others have mentioned, your shell should fit easily over ALL of your insulation layers. For me, my layers in winter may include my DAS sythetic parka, a well as my polarguar vest. This means my shell fits loose when I am actually climbing. As I sweat a lot, I often climb in wearing my soft shell jacket, but I have never had a problem with the "loose" fit of my shell.