AT Bindings

Nick_Hall

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plum Guide is awesome. Light, mostly CNC'd aluminum, solid boot interface. No brakes, if you're into that.

La Sportiva RT is lighter, and more expensive, still, though you can get brakes for them. Have unique toe-release for uphills.

Don't know much about any of the others, just that they're heavier and have more plastic.

The Plum has the shinny-looks-cool factor but has had numerous first season durability and quality control issues (go find the thread on teton gravity research) including toe wings snapping, toe wings falling off due to loose pins, and heel pins snapping. It also isn't compatible with a ski brake (they are working on one but it isn't clear when it will be out or if it will work with current bindings). People who haven't broken theirs seem to like them and hopefully they will work out all of these issues out eventually but I'd steer clear for now. More machined metal does not imply more durability especially when up against a proven design that uses forged parts and elastic plastic where appropriate.

The g3 also had first season issues when they came out a couple of years ago so make sure you get the later ones with the red bit on the back (see the wild snow article) and i'd probably only recommend them if you can get them at deep discount (after the first season they were available for as low as 200 new). People have also had issues with swapping from plate t plate due to loose nuts.

Dynafit radical's have short heel risers and some issues with housing exploding due to the new anti rotation pin. Dynafit has released a new pin with a break away area to prevent this or they can be skied without the pin. They are slated for a further design refinement and could be on clearance soon.

The best combination of proven track record, available sale price, ski brakes, and light weight is the dynafit vertical...I'm heading up tomorrow on a pair I've put a lot of tours and some area skiing on and they have worked. They may disappear from the line as the radical takes over and are on clearance several places. The st is preferred to the ft due to more support for the toe wings though a retrofit power plate is available.

If you want one pair on multiple skis check out the plates and inserts available at bindingfreedom.com etc.

All frame bindings (frishi, marker) will be heavier.

@ryanb interesting about the Plums. I might have to read more about it.

Nick, I think the answer depends on a few factors including how light and how rich you are. If you are neither, I would go with the Fritschi since it sounds like you are a lift skier. Reason is they are more bomber and generally cheaper then other setups. You can ski them like a normal ski including fast GS turns. They also ski better inbounds if you are doing a lot of side-country. I just got back from a trip where we did some side country and some of the skiing out in the resort was survivalist, and I was glad I wasn't on my Plums. If you feel after a season or two you want a higher performance touring setup, then move to a dynafit setup. In that progression you end up have a quiver that works for everything instead of a rather big gap between skis.

Why would you say that Fritschis are more bomber than a tech binding? There is way more play in a Fritschi or Marker system than in a Dynafit or Plum. Just because its bigger, heavier, and bulkier doesn't necessarily make it more bomber. But, yes, it is cheaper and has the step-in capability which is nice if you are doing more lift-assist.

The TGR threads have lots of info on the failures and things to check on the plumbs (make sure your top plate screws are tight but not stripped, make sure the toe wing pin holes were peened). Failure discusion startes hereish:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/209661-Plum-guide-tech-binding/page6

I don't think anyone is saying dynafits don't break but there is some supposition that plum has qc issues with stripping screws and not peening pins and that the less elastic rear housing and lack of heel support from the brake is leading to heel pin failures and the machined toe wings are more subject to failure then dynafits. But still plum claims a <1% failure rate. Also lots of plum users including glen plake are mounting additional heel supports wich apparently solve many of the issues.

The lack of brakes is really a deal breaker for me but, having grown up in a machine shop and being a hugh geek about gear, I also kind of feel that machined metal is overrated...machining is one of the cheapest way to do small batch stuff so lots of boutique shops use it but something with forged and molded components of different materials produced at higher volume can often achieve a better optimization of strength, weight and cost and the dynafit engineers aren't slouches.

I was thinking of the g3 onyx. I like the mounting plates and the low weight.

Those are the two big reasons I use the Onyx as well. I wanted a tech binding for touring but something burly enough to deal with some inbounds riding. A nice third reason is that there is about 30mm of adjustability of the binding on the plates, which enables the use of different boots without having to remount. Those features are worth the "heaviness" of the binding to me. I'll just take a dump before the tour to make up for that extra weight :grlaf:

I've been using the Onyx pretty hard in and out of bounds since it was introduced back in 2009 and have had no problems with them whatsoever. Great binding and one of the best options out there in terms of usability goes.

I noticed that last year's models were on sale at Marmot the last time I was in there Link. Cheaper and better than fritschis imo; worth a look if you're interested.

Have fun out there!

(I have a learning disability, so my spelling and sentence structure is not the best. Thanks for putting up with it, and keeping the spray to a minimum. If you have any questions, concerns, or good dyslexic jokes feel free to PM me.)

Hey guys, thanks for all the good advice! I was hoping for some kind of consensus on "the best ski binding". But with all the variety and specialization in the products, I may have been being naive. So now that I have read way too much from manufacturers and others, I'm more stumped now than before.

If I tell you more about what I'm looking to get out of my skiing you can help me come up with the best fit. I'm leaning towards a tech binding but without any real reason. So I'm open to all suggestions.

#1. I'm 6'2" and 190lb, and will be skiing with a Scarpa Maestrale (tech compatible) about 27.5-28.5 shell.

#2. I think I will be doing 70% ski mountaineering and 30% plying in the side/back country. With maybe one or two days spent on the ski lifts.

#3. I'm a good skier but definitely not an expert. let me put it this way, I can ski any double diamond I have found, but look sketchy doing it.

#4. The Plum and La Sportiva look bad ass, but are a bit more more than I was hoping to spend. I have about $500-$600 set aside for bindings, but I would love to do it for less.

Thank you guy for reading all this and helping me out.

-Nick

I have received some PM's and yes, I know avay safety. But from a climbing point of view. So I will vastly improving my skills before I go out. Easily after this sad weekend. I don't know the circumstances of this accident and I will not make any assumptions or judgments about those involved. However, I will reflect on the fact my own skills can be improved, and I should do so.

We have all lost someone in the mountains and the pain can be devastating. My sympathies are with the family's and friend's.

I have Silverettas and Dynafits, my wife has Dynafits. Never had a problem with any of them. I am at times heavy, but not a particularly aggressive skier. Kind of like you, double BDs at the resorts, nothing steeper than 45 degrees in the BC. One thing that sticks in my mind is Martin Volken who said Dynafits pretty much got the binder right in the first place and haven't done anything to mess it up.

Nick - from your self description I would say you are the perfect candidate for Dynafits. I would suggest the ST or the Radical ST.

The sportiva is more race oriented and $$$. The Plum is also $$$ and has a few issues to work out.

IMO there is no reason to use a binding other than a tech binding for touringg unless you need to be compatible with downhill boot soles, or you are skiing primarily at the resort.

I spent a lot of days on the lifts and a few in the back country comparing DynaFits and Freerides. Despite the extra weight I eventually decided on Freerides. Performance-wise, I am happy with them- they are a very user friendly binding. Still, if I had the decision to make over again, I would choose the DynaFits. The weight savings is a more important factor than I originally thought.

• 1 month later...

The g3 also had first season issues when they came out a couple of years ago so make sure you get the later ones with the red bit on the back (see the wild snow article) and i'd probably only recommend them if you can get them at deep discount (after the first season they were available for as low as 200 new).

After reading ryanb's posting and corresponding wildsnow article, I contacted G3 to find out how to replace my first season pins. I was also having issues with the older, less-secure heel lifters. Last week, I received a box from Vancouver BC containing new (redesigned) toe pins and heel lifters at no cost. Extremely happy with their customer service.