Best AT skis

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How fat are you considering and how much do you want to spend?

Lots of good feedback on the DPS 112, not super light unless you get the carbon and you'll have to throw down a grand for that.

Coomback gets solid feedback as a soft snow ski. I'd also check out the Atomic Charter which fits the things your looking for at 98 underfoot. Atomic Hi-5 and Dynafit Stoke are worth checking out in the ultra-light category. I think the Stoke is stiffer.

Also lots of great boutique skis such as the Praxis Backcountry.

More like "finally time to see-the-light side"...

What would be the best all around, cascade front/backcountry ski & binding set-up, sans dynafit bindings? I'm due to upgrade the old AT gear and mostly want light & good "all around" skis/bindings. (ie - I don't really have a "quiver" to choose from for conditions)? I already have good boots but they are not dynafit compatible. If I wanted to pic up a nice pair of LAST YEARS goods, what should I look for?

If any ya'lz has a pair that you are unloading, please let me know. I'm 5'10 175 *cough* er, 180lbs. Advanced skier. I'm not going to be doing anything too hard core at my age, but I do ski aggressive and steep lines. I know it is usually a toss up between heavy/stable vs light/squirly, but I'd guess they have some pretty cool shite to choose from nowadays, no? Aspirations of doing longer, more remote ski touring/mountaineering so reliability in the bindings is critical. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Pat,

Check out voile for some light and fat skis. The new bd justice has gotten some good reviews. If you got some extra coin check out pmgear.com or dps.

Dave,

I drank the kool-aid of dynafit starting last spring and its totally worth it. But if its an absolute no go then...don't go marker. salomon is releasing a new binding this season. i used fritcschi for three seasons and never ahd an issue for what its worth.

Dave,

I drank the kool-aid of dynafit starting last spring and its totally worth it. But if its an absolute no go then...don't go marker. salomon is releasing a new binding this season. i used fritcschi for three seasons and never ahd an issue for what its worth.

Thanks,

Yeah, the weight savings of dynafits sure seems nice. I was thinking I could trade up in boots and keep my molded liners. Probably would not cost much if I went that route. Not quite in the budget now though. I've always owned fritcshi, the problems I did have w them, I was able to repair. Overall, they were pretty reliable.

Um, yeah, agreed on the Markers. Last time I was looking they were making the "Duke" but have not really looked at what is currently on the market. Last years goods will be light years ahead of my old school gear.

There are lots of previous years model BD skis floating around for cheap if you don't mind designs without rocker or early rise tips. I got the voodoos for cheap and find them to be fairly versatile for an 88mm underfoot, relatively light ski...I'm thinking of cutting the twin tip tail down to make them better for ski mountaineering but I do think it helps there soft snow performance. They are a lighter version of the havok.

Killowats and Havoks and a bunch of heavier/fatter skis got killed for this year and the drift (100 mm and light) will get tweaked for next year so this years should be available for deals soon.

Check sierratrading post, evo and gearx.com.

Thanks,

Yeah, the weight savings of dynafits sure seems nice. I was thinking I could trade up in boots and keep my molded liners. Probably would not cost much if I went that route. Not quite in the budget now though. I've always owned fritcshi, the problems I did have w them, I was able to repair. Overall, they were pretty reliable.

Um, yeah, agreed on the Markers. Last time I was looking they were making the "Duke" but have not really looked at what is currently on the market. Last years goods will be light years ahead of my old school gear.

totally understand. check geartrade.com. backcountry.com uses it for their returned items, if your size pops up you could find a good deal on boots, skis and even bindings.

Viole Drifter or Charger. I demoed them last year and was really happy with them for the weight. If I only had one pair of skis I'd probably go with one of those. I haven't paid attention to this year's skis though. And yes, dynafits and whatever new variations others have come out with are great. Way stronger than people think. My skis for the last few years have been Icelantic Shamans. I've demoed others but have found nothing better for all conditions. A bit heavy, but I'll be damned if they haven't stood up to years of serious abuse (I bought them used).

I've been using the G3 Tonic since it was introduced three years ago and have really liked it. Fat enough underfoot to get great flotation, but not too much so that it's a chore to get on edge. It's not ultralight, but it's light enough. I think it skis much better through variable conditions than any other ultralight ski in it's width category.

I believe its the Atomic Charter and the Voile Charger. The next ski up from Atomic is the Blog or the Atlas which are probably a bit heavier than what you are looking for. The Voile's have historically been pretty stiff but that might have changed this year. Same with Atomics b/c they used an acrylic core which made them light and snappy but I think they've gone to wood.

Also, the Atomic Charter and Voile Charger have very different dimensions. The Charger is a little bit bigger in the shovel and has less sidecut and fatter underfoot (112). The Charter is 98 or 100 underfoot. The Drifter is considerable fatter.

In my opinion, for a touring ski I wouldn't go fatter than 112 or so underfoot.

Thanks,

totally understand. check geartrade.com. backcountry.com uses it for their returned items, if your size pops up you could find a good deal on boots, skis and even bindings.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

The Nordica Enforcer, Hell and Back, or Hell Unleashed are fantastic boards. You stick a pair of Dukes on them and you will have an incredibly stable front side ride. Might be heavy in the back and side country, but I personally don't give a shit about weight here in central Oregon.

The Ski logiks are kinda cool. I mean they have one of the best bases out there (super hard/sintered and free of dye-cut bullshit). Their top sheet finish......well, lets just say they've got some room to grow.

If you want playful you should definitely be looking at a rockered ski...that is tip and tail rocker with camber under the chassis. I'd suggest something

like the K2 Obsethed, but it's a piece of shit....although it is pretty fun to ski. The skin attachment and pre-cut skin option is pretty cool.

Ever stick a true bar across those Shamans? I've never seen a ski more railed than those planks; which is too bad because they're a pretty rad ski.

Never have tried that (don't have them with me now), but I got them used with really beat up bases anyway. I'm sure this sounds stupid but I think perfect bases are overrated. Mine are impressively beat at this point and they still feel better in the pow than all of the new skis that I've demoed. No core shots even though I don't try to be careful anymore when the coverage is low. Just burly skis. After about 5 years and 300+ days (and lots of drill holes) they are just now getting a bit floppy.

I agree that Coombacks are a good option too. I've never tried them but my ski patroller friends like them for all condition skis.