Skinny Single Rope Question

ColinB

I'm shopping for something in the range of 8.9-9.2 mm with a low impact force. Looks like the market is Mammut, Sterling, and Tendon. Any preferences between them? I've only climbed on the 8.9 mm Mammut single and liked it. Tendon ropes sound pretty amazing but I don't know if you can get their 9.2 mm single over in the USA yet.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Alaska this year we used a Tendon 8.9 double rope as a single, and I was a little surprised how trashed it was after a couple of routes and a lot of slogging. On the other hand on the Southern Pickets Traverse we used a Tendon 9.4 I think, which was not even new to start with, and it looked fine by the end even though we figured that the traverse is probably harder on a rope than most routes anywhere (that doesn't involve jugging) because of sharp rock and lichen.

I've been really happy with the skinny Mammut ropes I've used too. I'd say just look for the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, the effective length of the dry treatment depends on how clean you keep the rope, and then how you treat it when top roping, rapping, lowering, as its the dirt and grit that will really tear it up going thru the device. Alpine climbing not so hard on the rope especially if you sling everything well and use revolver biners at critical places.