Gettin' Spicy Up In Here, Up In Here

prole

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sure tvash will trade you a photo of him scarfing down a bag of caramel bugles in exchange for one of you banging a betty? :)

honestly, no one gives a crap about such things of course - for myself, i do wonder why you've emerged from the preternatural slime all charged up over al gore's cause of the lost decade? jesus h tap-dancing christ, where's the nut in bitch'n'bout global climate change or whatever the machine wants to call it these days? and how are any of the proposed solutions (less oil consumption, more efficient electronics, green energy innovation, etc) evils on the same scale as war w/o end, titanic public debt, the dismantling of the state, corporate co-opting of the republic, etc.? is this really where the Good Fight needs to be made currently? :crazy:

I haven't commented much on the self-proclaimed 99%'ers. My posts are targeted toward generating angst in the hearts of those whom I know to be particularly predisposed to hypocrisy. Not sure why you always seem to be the first to jump in when TTK's fumbling all over himself--you're pretty far above him on the scale of smarts. Could be a little of that man-love worship thing that's been going around lately?

...and how are any of the proposed solutions (less oil consumption, more efficient electronics, green energy innovation, etc) evils on the same scale as war w/o end, titanic public debt, the dismantling of the state, corporate co-opting of the republic, etc.?

Now that's some of the best political commentary I've seen or read in some time in any media (particularly in the wake of AMR's chapter 11 filing to "stay competitive" - after all, isn't that what underwater home owners would like to do as well?).

i'm sure tvash will trade you a photo of him scarfing down a bag of caramel bugles in exchange for one of you banging a betty? :)

honestly, no one gives a crap about such things of course - for myself, i do wonder why you've emerged from the preternatural slime all charged up over al gore's cause of the lost decade? jesus h tap-dancing christ, where's the nut in bitch'n'bout global climate change or whatever the machine wants to call it these days? and how are any of the proposed solutions (less oil consumption, more efficient electronics, green energy innovation, etc) evils on the same scale as war w/o end, titanic public debt, the dismantling of the state, corporate co-opting of the republic, etc.? is this really where the Good Fight needs to be made currently? :crazy:

The guy behind the "Climategate" released a statement to accompany the second tranche of e-mail disclosures...

/// FOIA 2011 -- Background and Context ///

"Over 2.5 billion people live on less than $2 a day."

"Every day nearly 16.000 children die from hunger and related causes."

"One dollar can save a life" -- the opposite must also be true.

"Poverty is a death sentence."

"Nations must invest $37 trillion in energy technologies by 2030 to stabilize

greenhouse gas emissions at sustainable levels."

Today's decisions should be based on all the information we can get....

http://foia2011.org/

Not sure where whoever this is ranks the various ills that can beset humanity, but there are quite a few folks including myself that accept the scientific consensus that the globe is warming and CO2 emissions are driving the change who nonetheless think that diverting trillions of dollars into limiting emissions will be a massive waste of money because it won't actually do much to prevent warming, will cripple or at least substantially hinder economic growth, and waste precious resources that could be put to much better use if the goal is to prevent human suffering and ecosystem damage.

Given the yawning chasm between the rich world's economic output and its present future commitments to its old people - anything that makes it tougher to pay for them by hindering growth and output is toast.

Might as well accept that, quit the international kabuki dance, and allow smart folks to benefit by giving people the tools to make more stuff with fewer resources and learn to live in a world with a higher CO2 concentration for the next few centuries.

Might as well accept that, quit the international kabuki dance, and allow smart folks to benefit by giving people the tools to make more stuff with fewer resources and learn to live in a world with a higher CO2 concentration for the next few centuries.

Some are "learning" to live in a degraded environment quite easily...

The guy behind the "Climategate" released a statement to accompany the second tranche of e-mail disclosures...

Not sure where whoever this is ranks the various ills that can beset humanity, but there are quite a few folks including myself that accept the scientific consensus that the globe is warming and CO2 emissions are driving the change who nonetheless think that diverting trillions of dollars into limiting emissions will be a massive waste of money because it won't actually do much to prevent warming, will cripple or at least substantially hinder economic growth, and waste precious resources that could be put to much better use if the goal is to prevent human suffering and ecosystem damage.

Given the yawning chasm between the rich world's economic output and its present future commitments to its old people - anything that makes it tougher to pay for them by hindering growth and output is toast.

i'm confused on the connection between what i said and you said

obviously, the bottom line is human happiness, be the matter at hand the environoment, taxes, pitbulls in city-parks, whatever

specifics are easiest to comprehend - the al gore types want to see less use of fossil fuels - isn't oil going to run out rather soon, in the grand sense of time, and if it is in fact tied up in damaging the envirnoment, isn't it wise to push alternatives as soon as possible?

i'm confused on the connection between what i said and you said

obviously, the bottom line is human happiness, be the matter at hand the environoment, taxes, pitbulls in city-parks, whatever

specifics are easiest to comprehend - the al gore types want to see less use of fossil fuels - isn't oil going to run out rather soon, in the grand sense of time, and if it is in fact tied up in damaging the envirnoment, isn't it wise to push alternatives as soon as possible?

Not necessarily. Depends on the cost, benefits, and feasibility. Mankind could have burned a lot of time, wealth, and energy trying to send a man to the moon using existing technology back in the 17th, 18th, or 19th century without achieving much beyond squandering the said time, energy, and resources.

The point is there's lots of stuff that'll give humanity vastly more bang for the buck if the goal is to alleviate human suffering and minimize ecological damage. (list below).

When and if there's an energy source that generates more energy at a lower cost with the same or better reliability than the stuff we use now that'll spur a massive investment binge since it'll pay for itself and then some.

Might as well go down that path since adding a few dozen trillion dollars worth of friction to an economic machine that's shuddering under the load of existing obligations represents a road that the civilized world is never going to walk down, no matter how much wailing and teeth-gnashing the assorted scourges, scolds, and scrutineers amongst the conference-going class unleash at their bi-annual seances that try to bring it back from the dead.

It's over.

Micronutrient supplements for children (vitamin A and zinc)

Malnutrition

The Doha development agenda

Trade

Micronutrient fortification (iron and salt iodization)

Malnutrition

Expanded immunization coverage for children

Diseases

Biofortification

Malnutrition

Deworming and other nutrition programs at school

Malnutrition & Education

Lowering the price of schooling

Education

Increase andimprove girls’ schooling

Women

Community-based nutrition promotion

Malnutrition

Provide support for women’s reproductive role

Women

Heart attack acute management

Diseases

Malaria prevention and treatment

Diseases

Tuberculosis case finding and treatment

Diseases

R&D in low-carbon energy technologies

Global Warming

Bio-sand filters for household water treatment

Water

Rural water supply

Water

Conditional cash transfers

Education

Peace-keepingin post‐conflict situations

Conflicts

HIV combination prevention

Diseases

Total sanitation campaign

Water

Improving surgical capacity at district hospital level

Diseases

Microfinance

Women

Improved stove intervention

Air Pollution

Large, multipurpose dam in Africa

Water

Inspection and maintenance of diesel vehicles

Air Pollution

Low sulfur diesel for urban road vehicles

Air Pollution

Diesel vehicle particulate control technology

Air Pollution

Tobacco tax

Diseases

R&D and mitigation

Global Warming

Mitigation only

Global Warming

there are quite a few folks including myself that accept the scientific consensus that the globe is warming and CO2 emissions are driving the change who nonetheless think that diverting trillions of dollars into limiting emissions will be a massive waste of money because it won't actually do much to prevent warming, will cripple or at least substantially hinder economic growth, and waste precious resources that could be put to much better use if the goal is to prevent human suffering and ecosystem damage.

Except that Lomborg is wrong (and he is no climate scientist, nor any kind of ecologist). We don't have centuries before the consequences of climate change ruin us (and kill a few people, albeit mostly brown people ... so who cares, right?)

JayB's arguments, with the characteristic sophistry and verbosity stripped away:

The problem's too big to solve. Ignore.

It's obvious by now that warming is primarily caused by emissions, but reducing emissions won't reduce warming.

Any money/effort you put into reducing emissions could be better spent elsewhere.

If the oceans collapse due to acidification, or the icecaps sluff into the sea, just adapt to it.