Imagine the conversatoin that took place

layton

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_59fb03fa-5d8c-5708-8451-b2fbc6740929.html?mode=story

Climber gets a disorderly conduct ticket for ditching his pussy partner.

CLASSIC!!!!

I would love to hear that conversation to go down.

I wonder what other would have done in this situation? The ticketed climber at first sounds like a douche, but after thinking about it, maybe he did the right thing. Rescues aren't guaranteed, and by waiting for the circus to arrive, he's wasting valuable time to get off the mountain like a man.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While ditching your partner might historically have been completey unacceptable I think that statement now requires an asterick *.

* ditching partner is consider good style if said partner is a) in perfect health b) carrying a SPOT and c) decides to activate it because "if they go back the way they came they're gonna die".

Ticketed climber wisely decided to have nothing to do with SPOT circus.

My feeling is that when you commit to climb with a partner(s) you are obligated to see it through, circus and all. If you decide to climb with someone with lesser skills or experience then you sign up for all that that might entail, including seeing through the consequences of an unskilled partner panicking and activating a rescue when it wasn't necessary. Bad form to wimp out and leave the mess for someone else to clean up without your assistance.

If his buddy didn't have a SPOT then his actions would have been totally justified. Getting his ass out would be the fastest way to initiate a rescue and give the rangers accurate beta as to where the other climber was. As for leaving the rope, if his buddy isn't going up or down, what good does a rope do him anyway ???

Pre-SPOT part of climbing mountains was always an understanding that you're on your own and responsible for members of the group. Now that SPOT is here it sounds like it triggers a lot of folks to say, "I give up," even when they are perfectly capable of dealing with the situation. Of course the story may not have provided enough detail on the situation.

When hooking up with partners these days at the Climbers Ranch take a written form saying, "I reserve the right to ditch you if there isn't unanimous agreement on activating SPOT." At least the form might weed out the folks you really didn't want to climb with anyway. ;)

Taking the rope was a big mistake. Way wrong move, guy could have died of exposure without Rangers to the Rescue. A partnership is a partnership, until you get to the car, then hand him his shit and drive away.

I would have stuck around to observe the cluster fuck then bailed with the rope. I'll choose the ground over a helicopter any day.

Taking the rope was a big mistake. Way wrong move, guy could have died of exposure without Rangers to the Rescue. A partnership is a partnership, until you get to the car, then hand him his shit and drive away.

I would have stuck around to observe the cluster fuck then bailed with the rope. I'll choose the ground over a helicopter any day.

I have to agree with Feck on a couple points, details are probably lacking, and spot technology definately changes the dynamic in such situations. I've been asked by non climbing friends if I carry spot. When I tell them I do not, they look at me funny. It's hard enough for them to understand why a person climbs mountains anyway without complicating it with peripheral issues so I let that conversation die asap...

It's hard to imagine leaving a partner (yeah, even one like that) without a rope but, given what we know, I can't fault the guy for taking off...

d

i've had some partners ditch me as soon as i struck up a conversation about my love for huey lewis... :)

ah, the power of love...

brings a tear to the eye...

"hip to be square...it's not just a song about the pleasures of conformity!"

DIE YUPPIE SCUM!!!