It's funny

Peter_Puget

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny not in the Ha Ha sense. What I was pointing out was that the DHS was getting lots of flack for characterizing "White Americans as Most Likely Terrorists." And then this happens.

link

Definition 2 of "funny" (Free Online Dictionary):

2. Strangely or suspiciously odd; curious.

And when the "cultists" represent a significant portion of the mainstream? Apart from this guy's actions, it seems there's little he said or wrote that would be unfamiliar or 'extreme' in daily American discourse. The besieged, 'clash of civilizations' mentality, anti-Muslim, anti-multiculturalist, anti-left stance of this wacko is actually bread and butter, even around here. :wazup:

And when the "cultists" represent a significant portion of the mainstream? Apart from this guy's actions, it seems there's little he said or wrote that would be unfamiliar or 'extreme' in daily American discourse. The besieged, 'clash of civilizations' mentality, anti-Muslim, anti-multiculturalist, anti-left stance of this wacko is actually bread and butter, even around here. :wazup:

Yes, cultists do represent a significant percentage of the population here, they are well represented in our 'leadership', and they're ideas are considered mainstream.

Other than restating the obvious, I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

Glen Beck is more concerned that there was such thing as a political camp for youth than what happened there:

BECK: And then there was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler youth or whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing.

My response is that:

1)It's a disgusting slaughter.

2)The guy who did the slaughtering was clearly inspired by arguments that have been advanced by people on the political right for the past ~20 years or so.

3)We'll likely have different thoughts on the significance of point 2.

(The most robust) Liberal democracies have been dealing with violent fanatics inspired by particular religions, political ideologies, etc for hundreds of years without instituting any formal constraints on political or religious expression beyond laws against libel, incitement, etc.

As tragic as these events are, liberal societies can survive them much more readily, and with far less damage than the attempts to constrain speech, political expression, and the interchange of ideas that inevitably follow in their wake.

(The most robust) Liberal democracies have been dealing with violent fanatics inspired by particular religions, political ideologies, etc for hundreds of years without instituting any formal constraints on political or religious expression beyond laws against libel, incitement, etc.

Um...what planet do you live on?

1)It's a disgusting slaughter.

2)The guy who did the slaughtering was clearly inspired by arguments that have been advanced by people on the political right for the past ~20 years or so.

3)We'll likely have different thoughts on the significance of point 2.

First, for me, the significance of point 2 is that this man's actions are the logical end result of the anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant, anti-tolerant propositions being put forward by mainstream conservative politicians, commentators, and academics. Relatedly, how exactly does one espouse these views (which, correct me if I'm wrong, you have) and prescribe policies based on them without constraining speech, political expression, and the interchange of ideas? In the wake of this event and others like it, it appears that people like yourself have as much work to do among your own (increasingly mainstream) fringe as you claim moderate Islamic clerics do. Calling something an abhorrent tragedy, invoking an unrelated fear (state power), then moving on ain't really gonna cut it.

Edited by prole